Autofill for Windows apps

Hello,
I'd like 1Password to fill in username and password into Windows Apps. Currently, I'm specifically thinking of Putty, but others will become relevant later.
I know this feature used to be there in 1Password 4 for Windows. But I can't find any updated guide on the topic.
Please don't tell me this feature was removed. Or was it? And will it come back?
Or - if it's still there: Can you point me to an updated article on how to use it?

Thanks a lot and best regards!

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Don't think that matters, does it?
OS Version: Windows 10 Fall 2018 Update
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:autofill for windows apps

Comments

• Hi @the_swissionary,

Thanks for writing in.

It's not yet implemented for the newer 7th version but it is coming in a future update. For now, you can use our basic implementation called Type in Window, which will evolve into Auto-Type later. https://support.1password.com/getting-started-windows/#use-1password-mini-to-fill-in-apps

• the_swissionary
    the_swissionary
    Community Member

Hello! Ah yes, this will do as a workaround for now. However, please do keep working at re-implementing the old-style autofill for apps in Windows. I miss that one. :)
    Best and good luck!

• Yep, we will re-implement almost all features that 1Password 4 have as fast as humanly possible but we want to take the time to do it right.

• Don Dinnerville
    Don Dinnerville
    Community Member

Just weighing in here - I'm also looking forward to this feature being re-implemented!

• 👍 Thanks for letting us know.

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member

Hey, I'm also looking forward for Fill in Apps. I think it's the main feature missing right now.

Would it be possible to add a keyboard shortcut for Type in Window in the meantime?

• We're a bit strapped for available shortcuts as it is, @gamma6, which is one reason we reused Ctrl + \ in 1Password 4. That shortcut needs to be free globally and there aren't a ton of those. All the same, I'll be sure to pass the request along and we'll see what we can do. :chuffed:

• Dom90
    Dom90
    Community Member

Unfortunately this feature still did not get implemented. Do you have any update? Or can you tell us something about its prio/roadmap? IMHO this is the most wanted feature for windows.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dom90,

Auto-Type is not here, but we introduced Drag&Drop in the latest 1Password 7 for Windows update. Please check this part on how you can use it in 1Password mini.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Dom90
    Dom90
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,
    yeah I saw it. It is better than Copy & Paste but it is no Auto-Type (just as you said).
    Especially if you need to fill in user and password it is not very user (experience) friendly with not only dropping to the background but minimizing completely. So I have to open it twice for one login.

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

I'd like to add that "Type in Window" does not work for all programs. Notably any UWP program does not show up in the list (though I'm sure that this is a technical limitation but still annoying). Though drag and drop does work.

• That was part of the reasoning behind developing drag and drop, @tmakaro. Type in window depends on 1Password's ability to see the window you want to type in and there are numerous technical limitations on that. UWP apps are on, but another is anything running elevated – 1Password runs as a standard user so those elevated windows are effectively invisible to it. Drag and drop works in the vast majority of places type in window did as well as in many places it didn't. It's just shy of being a wholesale replacement for type in window to the extent that the majority of folks will probably use it exclusively. But, we've had a few reports of type in window working in places drag and drop doesn't, and so it lives to fight another day as we continue to improve the process of filling in native apps across the board. :chuffed:

• twofirstnames
    twofirstnames
    Community Member

Wait, really? I'm considering switching from Roboform, which has had this feature for years and years. How can a "more modern" password manager not have this feature???

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@twofirstnames: We are building the new version of 1Password 7 for Windows from scratch and we still have some catching up to do. I am sorry to hear that this feature is critical for you.

Have you tried Drag and Drop in the latest version? Does it work for you?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• twofirstnames
    twofirstnames
    Community Member

Drag and Drop is tedious, at best. 3 keys to open mini browser; 5+ keys to type name of app; 4 mouse movements and clicks to copy username; 2 mouse movements/clicks to paste, then 4 mouse movements and clicks to copy password; 2 mouse movements/clicks to paste = 20+ actions. That's...not good! On Roboform, it is clicking one button that pops up by itself. 1 action vs. 20 actions.

When will the new Windows app be released?

• You don't need to copy/paste with drag and drop, @twofirstnames. You quite literally drag the field from 1Password or the field label from the right-click menu in mini to whatever field you want to fill. This also works with fields other than usernames and passwords as well so if something is asking for a product key or an address, drag and drop works there as well. It certainly isn't as sleek as auto-type, but it can help while we're still working on implementing this. :chuffed:

As for a release date for auto-type, we can't give a meaningful ETA at the time. It's certainly a popular feature request and one at the forefront of our minds, but priorities are ever-shifting and we don't want to promise something we can't deliver. I will certainly let the team know this is an important one to you and as soon as we have any news about its release we'll be sure to share.

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

would just put my plus 1...
    could live with just drag and drop IF it could be implemented better for EG...
    -most of the time once you get 1pass up, you have to search, no suggestions :( (like the 1passX feature in browsers) altho have found if you right click within the field and select 1pass, it does sometimes give you suggested items ?
    -then you have to right click the item :( i often accidentally click it instead (which then opens browser etc) solution could be done via having item in half sections, so one side for "go" button and the other acting like the right click now, but could still be right clicked of course legacy an all that...
    -then you drag and drop, and window closes/minimises :( so you have to start again .. thats VERY annoying !
    not totally sure of answer here, maybe just leave it until you click back the focus to the app your in ?

coming from JUST using 1passx in chrome, to trying to use the actual desktop prog , (as i wanted the in app functions, and not two login areas etc), it all now seems very clunky :(
    1passx seems so native and easy (autofiling in browser, the suggestions are on point, pops up soon as you click an entry etc, the way it works seamlessly with 1password.com (editing items) its like its part of 1passX ..
    but the app, altho it does have some plus's (well a plus of webform edit, but then it has no delete/add?) just seems clunky/not as intuitive maybe ? might be that i had gotten so used to 1passX ??
    but i suppose this will mostly be fixed once 1pasX is linked like the standard browser extension is ?...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and this feedback with us @gadget78! :+1:

• cloudwing93
    cloudwing93
    Community Member

@Greg It's great to hear that a new windows version is in the works. I have been using 1password for a few years at work and it works great on my work computer which is a mac. Because of that experience I decided to switch from enpass. As it sits I kinda wish that I didn't yet. The windows mini app UI and shortcuts aren't nearly as powerful as the mac counterpart. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that these improvements come soon.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cloudwing93, sorry for the miscommunication here! I was referring to the current version of 1Password 7 for Windows, which is available right now. :) It is being built from scratch and it is under active development.

If you have any specific questions or feedback regarding 1Password 7 for Windows or 1Password mini, please let us know. It will be really helpful. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Dom90
    Dom90
    Community Member

I think one feature that shouldn't be too hard to implement would be at least not to minimize 1Password mini every time you use the drag and drop. It is really annoying to reopen the window after you used it for the username to now "copy" the password.
    Something that makes this even a bit more "confusing" is, that when you used the search feature to get the entry after the first minimizing the entry will probably not be at the top of the current viewable list entries but somwhere more below so you have to check again which was the exact entry where you copied from the username just a second ago....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dom90:

I wonder if using the keyboard shortcuts will help you a little bit in this case. If you use Ctrl + Alt + backslash to show 1Password mini, it will open again to allow you to copy any other field you might need.

• Danielle Burgess
    Danielle Burgess
    Community Member

Chiming in with my vote here; I often use 1Password keyboard-only, and while the "ctrl+alt+backslash --> type to search for login... --> ctrl+shift+c --> press up/down to select desired field..." works, it's time consuming, requires closing the window between each field, and generally requires way more effort than I'd like. Thanks again for all you do

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for chiming in on this as well @Danielle Burgess, noted :+1:

• Electronic
    Electronic
    Community Member

Hello 1Password team,

I'd really like to see this feature implemented as well. The 1password mini combo with drag and drop is an amazing feature but as others have said it's a bit too clunky as it currently works. Having to press Ctrl+Alt+\ twice being the main issue. If the 1password mini stayed open after dragging the username this could be a better work around until the newest version has an auto-fill option. If the issue is being able to detect the open windows, maybe allowing users to find and associate target windows to the 1password app so it knows what to look for if it can't be done/dectected on the fly. I know when I was using Lastpass for applications (really really old windows program that's no longer supported/updated) it had this feature and it showed a target box to be able to assign certain applications, so the Lastpass program knew when to input, then auto fill could be assigned to a keyboard shortcut from there since it was "trained" what program to associate that log-in to. I'm sure there are security risks/concerns to be aware of here as well but as a gamer and power user I would really love to see this implemented sooner than later. With the amount of programs and game launchers that require log-ins this would be a huge selling point for many of us.

I would love to hear the 1Password team members' thoughts as well as an update to this being added since this hasn't been updated for almost a year. If there's a newer thread or post for this please let me know.

• john925
    john925
    Community Member

I'd like to add my two cents. I have arthritis in my fingers and expect most of your older customers do as well. Keyboard shortcuts are literally painful. Minimizing using keyboard shortcuts is extremely important to me.

• Thanks for chiming in @Electronic -- right now we are now busy with other higher priority tasks, such as closing the gap in feature parity between our platforms. However, AutoType is still on our plate, as we understand how convenient it can be. Sorry for this inconvenience so far.

@john925 Did you know that you could customize keyboard shortcuts? It might help make some of those more difficult ones easier on you!

https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/#global-keyboard-shortcuts-windows

This discussion has been closed.