To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1PW subscription & storing a vault remotely?

Psychor
Psychor
Community Member

Hi,

I currently have 1PW standalone for Mac, which allows me to store a vault on DropBox or iCloud.

If I switch to the subscription-based 1PW can I still store my vault on Dropbox or iCloud?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Psychor

One of the advantages of membership is that 1Password itself is what keeps your data in sync. There is no need to rely on 3rd party services.

About 1Password membership

Ben

• Psychor
    Psychor
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Thank you @Ben. But could you please let me know if it's possible.

• It is not possible to store membership data with a 3rd party service.

Ben

• Psychor
    Psychor
    Community Member
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

@Psychor:

1Password membership vaults cannot be synced with 3rd party services. If you have some concern with storing your data with 1Password we'd be happy to discuss.

Ben

• Psychor
    Psychor
    Community Member

@Ben, that's not what I asked. I asked if I could store a vault on a 3rd party service using the subscription-based version of 1PW.

If this has changed I need to know.

Thanks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

That's not something that we would support, no. If there is some non-standard path you're trying to go down that would be your prerogative. but the way to use 1Password going forward is with a 1Password membership and membership-based vaults. :) That's what we would be in a position to recommend and help with. Again if there is some concern with that we'd be happy to help address it.

Ben

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

The writing is on the wall. Local vaults and licensing are things of the past. 1Password has been hinting at this for years. "We're no longer advertising licenses." If you don't understand what that means...

This is not bad. 1Password will be able to focus. With that focus I am hopeful they will be able to improve the consistency in and quality of their apps. They are best in class, but there are rough edges that have existed for years due to a lack of focus.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback on this @soshiito! We will definitely continue working to make 1Password the best password manager we can :)

• Psychor
    Psychor
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I contacted support to get some clarity on this issue since the information I found on this forum was contradictory.

"Thanks for contacting 1Password support 🙂

Sure, I would love to help you out here. While it is possible to create standalone vaults and sync them to Dropbox while using 1Password with a 1Password membership account, we highly do not recommend doing so. We have seen in the past that this causes syncing issues, can cause confusion with setting up new devices and confusion over different Master Passwords.

Can I ask, is there a particular reason why you wish to sync your data with Dropbox while using it with a 1Password membership account?

Thanks"

• we highly do not recommend doing so

I think that makes it pretty clear. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.