Slow 1Password mini performance on Catalina

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood :+1: :) Thank you for the updates so far @mbesemann :+1:

• There are performance problems with the mini window when in dark mode. These should be fixed in 1Password version 7.6 -- which was just released.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@chadseld unfortunately that’s the version I’m already using - I’ll keep experimenting though, I haven’t actually tried switching to light mode

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@chadseld I can definitely reproduce it by turning on my second monitor. If I boot with 1 monitor powered on, things are zippy. As soon as i turn on the 2nd monitor, theres a delay. So odd! I wonder if it's taking an extra moment to decide which monitor to display on.

The only odd thing about my monitor setup is I have an EDID override to force my main monitor to stay in RGB mode and not go into HDR mode.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I took a look at the console to see if anything strange is happening between the 2 scenarios (filtered by "1Password"). The only difference I can see is that in the second scenario, there's a delay of a few seconds whereas the first scenario everything happens instantly:

Scenario 1 (quick): https://hastebin.com/unelibafez.coffeescript
    Scenario 2 (slow): https://hastebin.com/timajuqeto.coffeescript

NOTE: This is after hitting Cmd+\

• In the slow scenario, try dragging the mini window around a little. Is the stretching window nub animation slow too? It should be reasonably fluid, even on older hardware.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@chadseld unfortunately I just moved my PC to where I will be house sitting for a while and I only brought one monitor :p So far 1Password is running smoothly but I'll let you know if I run into any slowness again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, thank you :+1:

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member

@chadseld I'm seeing some slowness again but it only seems to be on locking the keychain or hitting the keyboard shortcut when it's locked. I tried dragging the window around, the animation seems smooth.

• Ok, that's helpful information. The slowness is different from the problem we recently fixed. Locking can be slow if it's done immediately after unlocking, but should be fast if 1Password has been unlocked for a while. Is opening 1Password slower when the frontmost app is a web browser?

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@chadseld On a fresh boot, it's quick. When I launch my browser for the first time (Firefox) it's still quick - then it will eventually slow down at some point during my session. I haven't been able to determine what suddenly makes it slow down, but on one occasion turning on a second monitor seemed to do the trick (that might have been a coincidence).

• My original theory turned out to be incorrect. If anyone else is seeing this bug, please try to see if you can come up with reproducible steps.

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member

I'm running:

1Password 7
    Version 7.6 (70600005)
    1Password Store

On OS X 10.14.6.

I'm following this but might be totally unrelated: I have two teams with 6 vaults each. I was finding intermittent big slow downs when searching in my vaults and switching between vaults, but I'm not seeing it now. I just restarted my computer so I'm wondering if it gets worse as time goes on. I'll keep an eye out.

• Thanks @Aaron Gibralter. Hopefully someone is able to come up with steps that can be followed to cause the problem to occur, as we're a bit unsure where this is coming from at the moment. If you do find specific conditions where this happens, please do let us know.

Ben

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I can reproduce this every time after I make a change, since a couple of days ago (at least it's when I started noticing it, I don't frequently make that many changes).

It doesn't only happen on mini, but with the regular "full window" as well. I just need to open up any login, click "Edit", make a change, then save (I've been changing emails), and after clicking save, it instantly looks as if it all worked, then the UI hangs for about 5-10 seconds (with the spinning wheel), going at 100% CPU for about 20-30 seconds.

The changes are properly saved.

Is there anything else I can provide to help you debug this?

1Password 7
    Version 7.6 (70600006)
    Mac App Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BrunoBernardino:

Can you please confirm that the version of the 1Password app that you are running is the correct one? You wrote in the discussion on our beta forum, but the version you mentioned in your post is the stable one, so I'd like to make sure we are on the same page. Thank you!

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member

Sorry @ag_ana I didn't realize this was on the beta forum. I just looked for a thread on recent slowness. Do you want me to create a new thread on non-beta mac topic?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BrunoBernardino:

No worries at all, thank you for the confirmation! I don't think we need to separate the discussion at the moment.

I wonder if you could try a quick test: can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior?

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member

@ag_ana I guess I should restart my laptop more often. That fixed the issue for now indeed!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @BrunoBernardino! Thank you for the update :)

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member

@ag_ana in case it's relevant, every 4-5 changes to items I make, I need to restart 1Password as it quickly gets into that really slow state again. It almost seems related to indexing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BrunoBernardino:

Thank you for the update. I think we can take a look at the logs and see if we spot anything strange there. The next time this happens, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member

Just sent it over, @ag_ana ! #NNB-64495-974

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BrunoBernardino:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: NNB-64495-974

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

OK, so this is also driving me nuts. I have to wait several seconds when searching and when filing in forms - it's really bad. Is this issue understood yet?

thanks.

• rand01210
    rand01210
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Hi same here! After not using it for a while, when I go back to it again, it starts working briefly then I have to wait several seconds.

I can try to troubleshoot and send diagnostics as well if you need help identifying the problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson:

Is this issue understood yet?

I believe we have not found yet a set of steps to reproduce this unfortunately. If you have such a list of steps, we would love it if you could share it with us so we can try to replicate this behavior.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rand01210:

I can try to troubleshoot and send diagnostics as well if you need help identifying the problem.

Thank you for the offer! If you would like to send us some logs, please take a look at the instructions my colleague Ben posted in this other discussion. Make sure you change information such as discussion URL and username :+1:

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@ag_ana I'm not really sure what the specific steps are to recreate "it's slow".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson:

Thank you for the update! If you end up finding steps to reproduce this consistently, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.