1Password-generated password is "Terrible"

garyhooper
garyhooper
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have a 1Password-generated password. It contains 4 words, hyphen-separated, appended by "-A1". It contains 30 characters in all, 16 unique characters, with a single pair of sequential characters.

1Password states that it is Terrible.

Why?

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @garyhooper

Are you able to reproduce this issue with newly generated passwords?

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

The password above was newly generated in 7.6.BETA2, just prior to reporting this. I have not since seen "Terrible" repeated for newly generated passwords.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@garyhooper:

Thank you for the confirmation. Please let us know if you see this happen again.

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

@Ben, @ag_ana To be clear, the password first mentioned above is still flagged as Terrible. I've not seen other newly generated ones flagged as Terrible. If you want, I can share the password with you so that it can be understood.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@garyhooper:

I remember that there was an issue recently where the password strength indicator showed the wrong strength, even if the password itself was good. Perhaps this is a similar issue, so I don't think the problem is with the password itself. Did you create this password with the password generator inside the desktop app, or from the browser extension?

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

@ag_ana, it was created by the generator in the Mac app. I don't believe that the password is "terrible", but nor should the UI indicate that it is.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Then it's indeed the bug I am thinking about. Thank you for the confirmation @garyhooper :+1:

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

@ag_ana FYI...using 7.6.BETA4, I have another "terrible" password. 20 chars long, 3-word hyphen-separated password generated by 1Password, appended by "-A1".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@garyhooper:

Thank you for the update. Our developers are still investigating this :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#973

• lepinski
    lepinski
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Hey @ag_ana — I did a bit more digging here after running into the same issue in 1P 7.6 for macOS. In my case, I've twice had 1P generate a password for me in the last few days using an extremely long recipe and had its rating for the login's password differ from the rating on the generated password item.

In the most recent case, I did this:

• ran Generate Password while creating a login on a website, and clicked Save & Copy to save the generated password item
    • used that generated password on the site registration form
    • allowed 1P to create a new Login item when it detected me submitting the form (which happens via the 1P Chrome Extension, presumably — currently v4.7.5.90)

At this point, 1P had two entries — the Password item created when I hit Save & Copy on the generated password (rated "Fantastic"), and the Login item created when 1P saved the form input on the page (rated "Terrible").

I tried manually creating a new Login item and copying all of the fields over from the previous one, and it was first marked as a duplicate password, and then rated "Terrible" once I deleted the initial item that it was duplicating. However, after deleting all related items from 1P and creating this Login item again from scratch (with the same details), the password is now correctly rated as "Fantastic".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@lepinski:

Thank you for testing this! I will add your findings to our internal discussion :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#973

• JoeP
    JoeP
    Community Member

Just to add that I have the same experience as @lepinski.
    I'm running 1Password 7.6 (70600005) on macOS 10.15.6 (also happened on 10.15.5).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional information @JoeP, noted :+1:

This discussion has been closed.