1Password 7 and Safari not prompting to save passwords

Options
nwbiefeld
nwbiefeld
Community Member

Has anyone experienced this issue before where Safari is not prompting to save passwords generated by keychain? I have tried to quit 1Password completely, restarting the system, completely uninstalling 1Password 7 and the extension and reinstalling without success.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nwbiefeld! Welcome to the forum!

Has anyone experienced this issue before where Safari is not prompting to save passwords generated by keychain?

Can you please elaborate? What is the process you are following exactly? It seems like you are asking how to use Keychain rather than 1Password (and we always recommend disabling the password manager in your browser so it doesn't interfere with 1Password).

• nwbiefeld
    nwbiefeld
    Community Member
    Options

No the password was created by keychain, and 1Password never prompts to save it. Even if I log out and log back in, I never get prompted to have the password save in Keychain. Also, I just noticed Edge, Brave and Chrome have started to fail to prompt to save passwords too. So its not just Safari. And these other browsers use 1Password X so something is definitely wrong.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

@nwbiefeld:

No the password was created by keychain, and 1Password never prompts to save it.

Thank you for the confirmation. I think this is indeed the problem in Safari: if you have Keychain enabled and you let it generate passwords for you instead of letting 1Password do it, please try disabling it in Safari, otherwise there might be interference with 1Password. See the guide I linked to above in my previous post :+1:

Also, I just noticed Edge, Brave and Chrome have started to fail to prompt to save passwords too. So its not just Safari. And these other browsers use 1Password X so something is definitely wrong.

In 1Password X, can you give us an example of a website where this is happening, so we can test it? Thank you!

• nwbiefeld
    nwbiefeld
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to have both Keychain and 1Password? I like the ease of use for Keychain but I do not have access to it on Windows systems which is where 1Password would be beneficial.

The account I tried was from Minecraft.net

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nwbiefeld:

Is it possible to have both Keychain and 1Password? I like the ease of use for Keychain but I do not have access to it on Windows systems which is where 1Password would be beneficial.

Yes, you can technically leave both enabled at the same time, but as you noticed, things might not always work smoothly if you do that.

The account I tried was from Minecraft.net

Thank you! I tested that website with 1Password X and 1Password prompted me to save this login after I clicked on the Save in 1Password button:

What version of 1Password X are you currently using in that browser?

• nwbiefeld
    nwbiefeld
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm I am not sure what is going on with my system. 1Password X is at 1.20.0

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nwbiefeld:

Let's see where things behave differently on your system. This is what I did to trigger the prompt:

1. Went to minecraft.net
    2. Entered something in the username field
    3. Entered something in the password field
    4. Clicked on the Save in 1Password button below the password field:

Do you see the Save in 1Password button? And if you do, what happens if you click on it?

This discussion has been closed.