To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Been using 1P free for years. I upgraded and now am getting proven to sign up for a membership.

stevenrradtke
stevenrradtke
Community Member

Do I need to sign up for a membership to use the App now? I'm getting bombarded with pop ups every time I log into something.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1Password has NEVER been free, so I don't know how you've managed to use it.

It used to be on a licence. Subscription (membership) is now the recommended form of purchase, but licences are still available if you get 1PW from the web site, not from the App Store.

The last time I looked, https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ gives the reasons why users may prefer a sub rather than a licence.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stevenrradtke! Welcome to the forum!

Indeed, as danco said, 1Password has never been free. We have offered some free upgrades in the past though, so perhaps that's what you were referring to. 1Password 7 was a paid upgrade however, so if you installed 1Password 7 without purchasing a license or a subscription, the app will be read only. If you create a 1Password membership and add it to the app, you will activate it and remove the reminders :+1:

• stevenrradtke
    stevenrradtke
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thank you, Sorry, I misspoke. I'm sure I paid for 1P back in the day. Just haven't paid anything since. And yes, I seem to have mistakenly clicked upgrade and now I'm in DO YOU WANT TO BUY???-mode.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevenrradtke:

Thank you for the confirmation. 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so if you don't want to upgrade at the moment, please make sure you download the previous version you purchased, and use that instead. You can download older versions of 1Password from our downloads page, at the bottom of the page.

• stevenrradtke
    stevenrradtke
    Community Member

@ag_ana I guess I don't understand what I need to do if I want a subscription. I already have a login and Master Password I've been using. Do I "Set up a New Account"?? It wants me to set up a new password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevenrradtke:

Yes, if you want to create a 1Password account, you need to sign up for one. You can do that on our website, or even directly inside the app if you prefer.

Your new account will be separate from what you have been using so far, but you are free to use the same Master Password you have been using until now if it's a strong one, and you prefer to keep it :+1:

• stevenrradtke
    stevenrradtke
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks you for your reply .... So, to clarify, if I set up a new account It will import all my existing passwords for various sites?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevenrradtke:

That's correct. You can see the instructions to migrate your existing data in this support article:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

• stevenrradtke
    stevenrradtke
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks! You're the best!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @stevenrradtke! And thank you for the kind words :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• stevenrradtke
    stevenrradtke
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@ag_ana Last question ... I see 2 vaults now. Do I delete the ON MY MAC one?!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevenrradtke:

Yes, if you have already migrated everything (and you see everything if you login to your new account on 1Password.com, for confirmation), we recommend removing the old Primary vault so you don't have duplicates, and it doesn't cause confusion in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.