Migrating from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7

thebbikins
thebbikins
Community Member
edited July 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I hesitated about moving from 1P4 to 1P7 because if it ain't broke, etc. But things were starting to breakdown, so I bit the bullet. As I I feared, the migration from 1P 4 to 7 has not gone smoothly. I joined 1Password.com. I downloaded the app. I use Windows 10. I got my secret key and was able to get my vault open. But I must have missed something. I never saw the green transfer button that says "TRANSFER." Now I've got 4 and 7 on my computer, but I'd like to get 7 running. I figure I must do that before I can start getting my apps on my iPhone and iPad, yes? --Also I have another Windows computer in my work office. I presume I will need to download the app there as well. Will I need to migrate my data again? Please adivse.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:migration

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thebbikins!

I got my secret key and was able to get my vault open. But I must have missed something. I never saw the green transfer button that says "TRANSFER."

Have you actually added your new 1Password account to the 1Password 7 app on your Windows computer? Creating the account in the browser is the first step, but the migration actually happens inside the app, so I wonder if that is the step you are missing.

You can see the step by step instructions, and a video, here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I figure I must do that before I can start getting my apps on my iPhone and iPad, yes?

Yes, it's better to perform the migration on your computer first, and then install the apps on your iPhone and iPad :+1:

Also I have another Windows computer in my work office. I presume I will need to download the app there as well. Will I need to migrate my data again?

No, it's not necessary to migrate your data twice: doing so would result in duplicates. After you have migrated your data, all you need to do is add your 1Password account to your other apps.

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member

Dear @ag_ana , Thank you for your reply. Here is what I did:

• I went to 1Password.com as instructed, and installed 1Password 7.
    • I no longer recall whether I did the part highlighted in yellow. I probably did, but I can't swear. I use Dropbox as my sync method, and I only have one vault.
    • But then I did steps 1,2, and maybe 3.
    • About step 3: I certainly did something that resulted, to my delight, in 1Password 7 for windows populating on the lock screen with all the right stuff.
    • I entered my master password, and voila! The app opened. My name is there. My Starter Kit file is there. (I also downloaded the PDF and saved it to a cloud as advised, and plan to print and keep on file in a safe place as well . . . )
    • I don't remember ever seeing "Transfer Items."

Here's what I see inside the app, with identifying info redacted:

So what am I missing? I have a who-knows-how many log-ins, plus secure notes, etc., in my 1Password 4, still on my computer for the moment. Please help.

Beth (aka Thebbikins)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thebbikins:

I no longer recall whether I did the part highlighted in yellow. I probably did, but I can't swear. I use Dropbox as my sync method, and I only have one vault.

I think this is the part you skipped: from your screenshot, the Dropbox vault is not shown in your 1Password app, so it really looks like it was not imported. If you want to import the entire contents of your existing vault into your new account, you can do that step manually now:

1. With the 1Password app open, click on 1Password > Import
    2. In the window that appears, select the Agile Keychain or OPVault folder option
    3. Select your existing 1Password data file
    4. Select the vault you want to import your existing data to
    5. Click on the Import button

This will allow you to import existing data even if you skipped it during the initial app configuration ;)

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly! Ok, it wasn't immediately intuitive for me where to find 1Password > Import, but I found it. I still need some handholding.

I get the screen that asks me to find the agilebits-suffixed folder on my computer. It resides in the Dropbox folders synced to my PC,

I'm guessing the most recent date (2017) reflects the last time 1Password 4 was updated, because I also find in the Documents folder of my PC another 1Password folder containing a subfolder with all of the backups, and that has all the recent changes to my passwords up through yesterday. For good measure, here it is:

Just to be certain, then, do I follow the steps as I have spelled them out below? I am afraid to mess this up!! :'(

1. I enter the file path for the folder in my Dropbox, and assume that the other folder, the one with the backups, which is in "This PC>Documents" but not, as far as I can tell, in Dropbox, will somehow shake hands or interface or otherwise do its thing when I tell Dropbox to import?
    2. I do not have a vault password because I only have one vault. Do I leave it blank, or enter my master password|?
    3. I have a choice of importing to a vault with my name on it, and then one called "Personal Vault." Currently I am the only user of this 1Password account. But I am likely to add my husband at some point, once I figure out all of this stuff. We will want one joint vault for shared passwords, and then our own personal vault. Do you recommend that I therefore instruct Dropbox to import all all my stuff to my personal vault?

And one last pair of questions: If I do import to my personal vault rather than what I'm thinking of as the "main" vault, will I then require an additional password (which I don't want!)? '

Alternatively, can I move my personal stuff later (which is most of what's in there), assuming I change to a family account down the road?

Thanks again.

• Backups are different than your actual vault, @thebbikins, and based on the date modified for the folder containing your backups, I suspect that your vault on Dropbox is likely up-to-date. 1Password 4 doesn't have a local database at all so it needs an Agile Keychain or OPVault to read in order for it to display any data at all so while nothing in life is ever totally certain, I'm pretty confident the Agile Keychain folder is going to have your latest changes. If, for any reason, it doesn't have everything a mulligan isn't a big deal at all. We'll just clear out what you imported and try again. :+1:

Covering the import process itself, make sure you're selecting the folder ending in .agilekeychain, then clicking "select folder" in the Explorer window rather than double-clicking or anything. It's the folder itself we want to point 1Password to. It will take care of the details of pulling the data it needs from within the folder. On the password front, this will be the password you used to unlock 1Password 4. That is technically your vault password and not a Master Password, but since 1Password 4 can't have more than one vault open at once, the distinction isn't really relevant for that version.

If this data is all personal data, you will want to import into your Personal vault. If you later decide to invite your husband, you'll get a Shared vault added to your account when you upgrade to 1Password Families. If you decide you want to share anything currently in your personal vault, you can move it then. No need to worry about it now.

Finally, Master Passwords – you only have one. The concept of a vault password is (thankfully) a thing of the past with 1Password memberships. You can create as many vaults as you'd like in your account and a single password will allow you to access them all.

Hopefully this helps you get over the finish line, but if you have additional questions, just let us know. And, of course, let me know if importing that Agile Keychain brings along all of the data you'd expect. As I mentioned, a do-over is no big deal at all so if it doesn't work out, we'll try again. :chuffed:

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member

@bundtkate --Thanks for this very helpful reply. I just imported. Bingo! It worked great, and I LOVE the new 1Password!
    --Thebbikins

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @thebbikins! And I am glad to hear that you are loving the new 1Password :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.