Why would the strength of the very same password be reported as Terrible AND Very Good?

Options
hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

I believe this is peculiar to the Mac application, as I don't see any indication of password strength at all when I open a record in iOS.

Today I created a new login at a financial institution. I let 1Password general a new 15 character random password. When I look a the record that was saved in the Passwords category, the strength is reported to be Very Good. Afterwards, I then saved the new login record to the Logins category. When I opened this new record, the exact password is saved twice, once under my Username and a second time farther down where some other information I filled in the various blanks while creating the record were saved - things like security questions, etc. The same password is saved in the same Login record a second time, where it is reported to be Very Good.

Aside from whether I should be satisfied with Very Good, why is the strength of the very same password receiving startlingly different assessments of strength between records and even within the same record.

I attach an anonymized screen shot showing the issue. You'll have to take my word for it that both passwords are identical.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth!

Our developers are aware of a bug that could cause different password strength meters to show in this scenario. Hopefully it will be fixed in one of the next updates :+1:

This discussion has been closed.