Problem withSuggestions vs all items

Options
BenBob
BenBob
Community Member

There seems to be a new glitch in the 1P app. If I set my preferences to open to all items, then it opens to all items when I am in another app such as finder or mail. But if I go to a website and then try to login, it does not bring up any suggestions for that web page. I have to manually change the drop down to suggestions to get it to provide the proper login. But if I change the preferences to default to suggestions, then it will not open to all items or other logins when in another app such as finder or mail. This was never a problem before. Seems wrong that you now have to change things manually to get 1P to work properly.

1Password Version: 1password 7
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: OS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1P not open to suggestions

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BenBob!

It seems like things are working as expected. You wrote:

If I set my preferences to open to all items, then it opens to all items when I am in another app such as finder or mail. But if I go to a website and then try to login, it does not bring up any suggestions for that web page. I have to manually change the drop down to suggestions to get it to provide the proper login.

This is expected behavior: if you set 1Password to show you all items by default, it will do that. It will not show you only suggestions. If you want to change that behavior and have 1Password show you only suggestions, you can change the value in the dropdown menu.

But if I change the preferences to default to suggestions, then it will not open to all items or other logins when in another app such as finder or mail

Correct: if you switch to suggestions, 1Password will not show you all items anymore.

Therefore, it looks like 1Password is behaving properly in both cases. Can you please elaborate on what you would expect to happen exactly? Thank you!

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I can't remember how I may have had my preferences set in the past, but it used to not be this way. If I was in finder it would give me the drop down list of my logins and I could select one or type in the search to get the log in I needed - and if I was on Safari or Chrome and just typed in the website I wanted to go to and went there, then 1P would automatically suggest the proper login. Reference the attached screen shots where in the first one, for the website selected, it will not offer the proper suggested login unless I manually change the drop down to "suggestions."

Again - it never used to be this way, all worked fine until recently and I never had to manually change the drop down menu.

Thanks

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@BenBob

Indeed; that's because 1Password can now detect whatever app you're in, even if it isn't a web browser, and provide context-based suggestions. This means for example if you have a Login item saved for Finder it will be able to present that Login item to you, whereas before it would not.

Ben

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben but not sure that answers my questions. So I have to manually change the drop down menu to suggestions, etc where as I never had to before?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BenBob:

Only if you don't want to set that as the default option. If you want it to open to suggestions all the time, you can change the default setting in 1Password Preferences > Mini tab > Open 1Password to menu.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ana - I understand that. The problem is if you do that, although that works when on a web browser, it then defaults to suggestions when in finder or mail and doesn't give you your list of logins and as such you have to manually switch back and forth. I never had to do this before. Previously, if I was on a web browser and on the login page of one of my logins, it would default to a suggestion for that login; if in mail, it would default to all items or similar. It seemed it used to provide suggestions when on a web page login and also default to all items if in another app. No manual switching was required. I can work with it, just more of an inconvenience.

Thanks

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Ben,

That's correct; the plan right now is that'll be how it'll work going forward. There isn't a way to have it "both ways" - i.e. to show Suggestions in a web browser and All Items in other apps. It is either defaulted to Suggestions or to All Items. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.