App Suggestions

Options
diathesis
diathesis
Community Member

Is there any way to link a 1Password entry to an app (not a website)? For instance, I have a VPN App, "SonicWall Mobile Connect", and when I trigger 1Password, I can see it's saying that it has no suggestions for "sonicwallmobileconnect". Is there somewhere I can put "SonicWall Mobile Connect" or "sonicwallmobileconnect" in the entry so that it will link the password so I don't have to search for it myself?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1P Account
Referrer: forum-search:App Suggestions

Comments

• toddknutson
    toddknutson
    Community Member
    Options

I have this exact same question. Thanks for posting it!

• diathesis
    diathesis
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, nice. I found that once I'd selected the password, it would re-open with that same entry for a while until I did something else with it, so without knowing the boundary conditions of when I would normally expect it to 'reset', I can't be sure that it's working, but I think it is. (In this case, app://com.sonicwall.SonicWALL-Mobile-Connect)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dserodio:

Thank you for the link! We appreciate the assist here :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diathesis:

I am glad to hear that the other discussion helped :) Let us know if you have any other questions about the feature :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@toddknutson:

Was the link shared by dserodio useful to you too? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

• toddknutson
    toddknutson
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the link shared by dserodio was very helpful. I was able to add the app:// URL to my password and now it shows up when triggering autofill! Thanks everyone!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @toddknutson! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• diathesis
    diathesis
    Community Member
    Options

Yup, seems to work reliably, and now I should be able to establish similar links for other apps; thanks again!

• :+1: :) We're glad to hear the forum was able to help.

• diathesis
    diathesis
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, this looked like the app's Bundle Identifier, so I just did a quick check, and it does seem to be; so if you don't want to create a new login to find out the app URL, you could try any of the ways that work to find the app identifier (e.g. mdls -name kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier -r /Applications/SonicWall\ Mobile\ Connect.app/). There are lots of ways to get the bundle id of an app, this is just one of them.

That said, if you're familiar with 1Password and not with one of these other ways, it might be easiest just to follow the suggestion of creating a login.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion @diathesis. Indeed, it is the app's bundle ID we're relying on. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.