Migrate 1Password vault to Apple Keychain or Safari 13

Since 1Password 6 will no longer work on Safari 13, is it possible to migrate all my passwords from my 1Password vault into Safari 13 or Apple Keychain without manually reentering each password?

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: 6
OS Version: OS 10.15
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• SirJibba
    SirJibba
    Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years and have recommended to all my friends and family along with personally purchasing 4x separate accounts for $50 - $65 years ago from the app store. It seems like every year 1Password removes more and more features from users that paid for their product in full in an effort to make them purchase a monthly subscription on top of their original investment. I still absolutely love their product but very disappointed in them forgetting about their original customers that have stuck with them for a decade. I understand technology changes but it does not make it any less disappointing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SirJibba: I'm sorry for the confusion. We haven't removed any features. It sounds like you've just updated your browser so that the old version of 1Password can no longer work with it. You can find more details in the announcement in this forum category:

1Password 6 in Safari

1Password 6 will continue to work with the browser versions it's always supported, and others such as Firefox and Chrome have not changed in ways that makes old versions incompatible (yet). So you could use one of those if you're determined to not upgrade 1Password.

If you want to migrate to iCloud Keychain though, that's not something we can help you with. You can export your data from 1Password easily, but as far as I know Apple/macOS/Safari/iCloud Keychain do not offer an easy way to import (or export) data. You'd need to contact Apple for assistance with their software.

• SirJibba
    SirJibba
    Community Member

Thank for your reply. I understand there are technical difficulties presented by Apple's new model for Safari 13. I just wish there was a way to make it work without having to sign up for a monthly/yearly subscription. My biggest concern was not the Safari Extension but 1Password moving away from the $65 paid stand-alone as I assumed 1Password would continue to support older clients that paid full price instead of adding an additional cost to the original model. It seems that is the way the industry is moving. At the end of the day, I do enjoy your product and commend your team on ensuring our data stays secure while still offering a user-friendly product.

If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions in regards to 1Password 6, it would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is 1Password 6.8.8 (Mac Desktop version) still being supported by your team or is 1Password 7 the only service that receives updates?
    2a) If not, does this create any security issues on 1Password 6.8.8?
    2b) If yes, What are the differences between 1Password 6.8.8 (stand-alone) vs 1Password 7 (subscription)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SirJibba: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me, and for the kind words. :)

1) Is 1Password 6.8.8 (Mac Desktop version) still being supported by your team or is 1Password 7 the only service that receives updates?

1Password 6 was discontinued in spring 2018. We can help you if you have questions about it, but it's no longer being developed. Only the current versions of 1Password receive updates.

2a) If not, does this create any security issues on 1Password 6.8.8?

There are no known security issues with 1Password 6 itself. However, you will run into security issues if you end up sticking with outdated browser/OS in order to maintain compatibility.

2b) If yes, What are the differences between 1Password 6.8.8 (stand-alone) vs 1Password 7 (subscription)?

1Password 7 has a number of new features, like Watchtower 2.0, and the new 1Password mini; and a 1Password membership includes automatic offsite backup and item history for your encrypted data, and no separate license purchasing/management or sync configuration.

Happy to help in any way I can, and if you decide you do want to try a 1Password membership so you can always have the latest version along with the rest of the benefits, just shoot me an email at support@1password.com and I'll help you make the transition.

• robbo007
    robbo007
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

I'm in the same situation. It really sucks having to buy the same software again or get into a yearly subscription in order to user software which I purchased not long ago. You guys should have at least left support for us 6.x users in Safari. I don't need the new features nor security updates. I'm happy with version 6. :(

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Hi @robbo007

It isn't the same software. 1Password 7 took thousands of hours to develop. If folks would like to benefit from those hours of development and testing I don't think it is unfair that we ask to be compensated for them.

We didn't take anything out of v6. v6 is still the same software you purchased. But v6 is not compatible with the new Safari 13, which was released over a year after v6 was retired and no longer being sold.

Ben

• robbo007
    robbo007
    Community Member

I understand it takes time and money to develop new versions and I accept that.

My point is its unfair that you did not fix the Safari plugin to be compatible with Safari 13. I'm not talking about new features or other updates, the same software but working under Safari 13. The MacOS environment is very different to Windows. most users are on the latest versions of everything. Meaning if we use Safari 13 (which we pretty much have to) we loose the option to use 1Password 6.x with Safari. Pretty much rendering version 6.x useless (the safari part is the most use-full obviously), thus forcing us to folk out cash and update. I understand and accept if we talking about an operating system change and you need to update your version but a web browser update, come on!! And giving software a shelf life of around a year or a year and a bit is not right either.

Makes me serious doubt if I want to keep using this software. What happens now? I have to get stuck in a anual payment of €47,88 if I want to keep using this software or buy another standalone version for €49,99. What happens in one years time if I buy the standalone version? It will be incompatible with something else thus forcing me to buy it again or get stuck in an anual subscription.

I've supported you guys from the start. I've used your software in big companies, small companies (my recommendation always) and on a personal level. So I'm not a winging home user. Thanks for your time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@robbo007: 1Password for Mac version 6 actually had a "shelf life" of about 3 years, with some folks happily using it well past that now. It is not possible to "fix the Safari plugin to be compatible with Safari 13". Safari 13 uses only the newer Safari App Extensions, which are completely different from the old .safariextz that previous versions of 1Password for Mac used. They're built into the apps themselves. Therefore, we developed that from the ground up in the current version of 1Password. There is no way to transplant that into outdated versions, just as it would not even function with old versions of Safari which similarly know nothing about Safari App Extensions, which did not exist at the time. If you wish, you can continue using 1Password 6 with browsers which have not changed their extension frameworks since it was released (which is most of them, though that will likely change in time as browsers -- and OSes -- evolve). But upgrading is recommended since not doing so is counterproductive both to compatibility (and, in turn, security, if you're not updating other software to try to mitigate that) and supporting the ongoing development of a product that you seem to value and recognize that there are costs associated with making it -- of which Safari 13 support is but one example. Rather than viewing it as being "stuck", I'd suggest that a 1Password membership provides an ongoing value, in that you've always got the latest version for all your devices, and even if they are all lost, stolen, or destroyed you can simply sign into your account to get your data back. Just another way of looking at it. :)

• jedwardoo
    jedwardoo
    Community Member

If you want to export your 1Password data to Apple Keychain, you can try this out if this works on your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-ph/guide/keychain-access/kyca35961/10.5/mac/10.15

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

That may be helpful. Thank you! :)

• sergedemichev
    sergedemichev
    Community Member

I was also happy to use the application. But your model doesn’t get me at all. Brenty, you said that support is about ~ 3 years old. Yes? $ 8 * 36 m = $ 288 This is an approximate price for Adobe Photoshop. Don't you think this is overpriced? I like the Sketch 3 model. I buy an application with a subscription for a year, after 1 year the application works, but without updates.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sergedemichev:

$7.99 is the price for a 1Password Business membership. With all the features our Business offering comes with, we believe that it is fairly priced for what it offers.

A 1Password Membership for an Individual account starts at only $2.99, as per our pricing page.

• sergedemichev
    sergedemichev
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Pardon. I have not seen. Ok. We will consider this price ~ 106 $. I.e. price doubled over a three-year cycle? It is very strange that many developers choose this model. IMHO, not every software is suitable for a subscription payment model. Your functionality is not developing so much. Yes, and why?

But thanks for the answer. And good luck with the project.) I just wanted to say my indignation.

• Thanks for the feedback @sergedemichev. We do offer a 30-day free trial in which you can see what value 1Password might be able to provide to your organization. Our business team would also be happy to discuss further. They can be reached at business@1password.com.

after 1 year the application works, but without updates.

That really isn't the kind of usage we could be comfortable encouraging for a security service. Updates are necessary. :+1:

Ben

• sergedemichev
    sergedemichev
    Community Member

@ben Thx, but I am a private person) I said my dissatisfaction note) I can advise you to provide more services: private chat rooms, a cloud disk with a large space, an advanced note service. Paying for features again that other services have is a bad idea for me.

P.S. Updates do not guarantee 100% security. Sometimes it’s the other way around) I work in IT and understand a little how the software works.

• Okay. Thanks for the feedback. Best of luck in finding a solution that you're comfortable with. :)

Ben

• craftbynick
    craftbynick
    Community Member

Hi 1Password Team, as a software developer myself I understand where you guys are coming from, and with a major change with the upcoming Safari 14 around fall 2020 is only going to complicate things even more. It takes thousands of hours to design and develop software and it's a pain when you have to defend yourself from customers that do not understand what we have to go through every day to ensure their digital experience improves regardless of the complexities attached. Your team should not be responsible for updating an outdated version of the software just because a 3rd party company decided to update their own architecture without any consideration for 3rd party apps. Most of these customers complaining about the cost of ~$100 for the software do not understand the actual cost of development. Even if a software update takes 500 hours of manpower to complete, with an average rate of $85/hour that equates to $42500 approximately not considering the cost of hosting, tooling, CI/CD, Virtualization, and the list goes on.

Lastly, for the people that complain about the "100% security" claim, they may be right to a certain degree, you should not claim that. The only way to remain 100% safe on the internet is not to be on it. I believe customers can still buy Nokia 3000 somewhere on eBay and it works just fine to make calls and text while they can secure themselves a job in a coal mine and use United Postal Service to deliver messages to their family and friends.

I would like to say thanks for amazing software and keep going at it and if you need anyone to help with testing or perhaps help with feature suggestions I am more than willing to assist.

• Hey @craftbynick

Thanks for the kind words and feedback and for taking the time to share your perspective as a developer.

Lastly, for the people that complain about the "100% security" claim, they may be right to a certain degree, you should not claim that.

For what it's worth... that isn't a claim that we make. The person that alluded to that above was making an argument for using outdated software, which we can't recommend. We didn't say that not doing so was a guarantee of "100% security."

Ben

• RotorTalk
    RotorTalk
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I too am now (and without the need for any steer from 1Password) - about to end my subscription. Bottom line? Security is fundamentally an OS issue and hence the party best placed to implement it is going to be the author of the OS. Add to that the question of increasing cost and lockin and 1Password becomes defunct...So I concur with the gist of this thread. Being an Ent. Arch. I would have strongly advised 1Password to diversify... sounds like they are sounding the last stand...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that you are about to end your subscription @RotorTalk, but thank you for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.