Cannot enter password for Apple TV via iPhone

garyhooper
garyhooper
Community Member

I am watching HBO Max on Apple TV. It prompts me to enter my TV Provider credentials (which happen to be DirecTV).

On my iPhone, I am now prompted to enter my password. The keyboard is displayed. I tap "Passwords". I open 1Password and choose DirecTV. However, the password is not transferred to the entry field on the iPhone. Further there is no way to copy and paste it into the password field.

How can I enter the password on my iPhone?

1Password Version: 7.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @garyhooper

That's a bit odd... I regularly use my iPhone (or iPad) to enter my Apple ID password on my Apple TV. I don't have DirecTV or HBO Max, but I input some dummy credentials to test. When I got to the username screen the iOS Remote app didn't even offer me the ability to use autofill. I hit the menu button in an attempt to re-try, and instead was presented with a screen with a code to use at https://hbomax.com/tvsignin

Once on that website I was able to use autofill in Safari to fill the DirectTV credentials I had entered into 1Password without any difficulty. You may want to give that a try. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I think that our situations are not identical; let me try to explain better.

1. To log into HBO om Apple TV, I use TV Provider credentials.
    2. I am not using iOS Remote app. Instead, because my iPhone and TV are on the same network, I receive an alert on my phone to enter the password when the password is required on the TV. See:
    3. Clicking on the alert prompts for password. See
    4. Click on the textfield ("My Password") to see the keyboard with "Passwords" displayed in the accessory bar above the keyboard.
    5. Click on Passwords to open 1Password.
    6. Select my password (DirecTV).
    7. Image in #3 is re-displayed, but password is not filled in. At this point, there is no way for me to transfer the password out of 1Password; even copy/paste are not accessible.
  • Thanks @garyhooper. You might have better luck within the actual Remote app. I will check with our development team to see if there is anything we can do regarding the experience you outlined, but in that context all 1Password is doing is turning over the credentials you've specified to iOS. From there it is up to iOS to fill them. As such I'm not sure there will be much if anything we can do on our end.

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

Please post what you find out, as this is the UX normal path defined by Apple.

• I can confirm that we do not control the filling: that is all handled by iOS. Did you have a chance to try Apple's Remote app?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.