Forgot to make a backup vault.

I recently restored my MacBook Air running High Sierra 13.6 to it's original state in order to remove the clutter that came from a previous migration. I have time machine backups of the machine in it's previous state. But I forgot to make a backup of the 1password vault before doing restoring. All the data is stored on the time machine backups. I'm just trying to figure out the best way of getting to it. Without a backup of the 1password vault, I'm essentially locked out of every account I own.

My first thought was manually going through time machine and copying individual files and folders. But I have doubts that would even work.

What I started to do and then stopped is: using Disk Utility I made a new volume on Macintosh HD to avoid erasing the disk again. The idea was to restore the old system to a new temporary volume, get the data I need from that volume, put the data on an external hard drive, reboot into the other volume, pull the data from the external hard drive, setup 1password, and finally delete the temporary volume.

But that seems very tedious and time consuming. The progress timer started off at 8 hours and went up to 10 hours remaining before I decided to stop and ask for guidance. Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I just need to accept that it's gonna be a long day? I'd really appreciate if anyone can give me some advice here.

Thank you in advance. If anything is unclear just let me know.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbrannon! Welcome to the forum!

The important thing is that you took a backup. Now you should just need to restore your 1Password data folder.

Before wiping the device, were you using 1Password from the Mac App Store or from our website? The data folder location would change depending on that.

• mbrannon
    mbrannon
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana. I'm using 1Password from the Mac App Store.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mbrannon:

Thank you for the confirmation. In that case, your 1Password data should have been in this folder:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

More specifically, the backups are here:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

• mbrannon
    mbrannon
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed. I'm actually surprised to find a recent backup. Does 1 password make local backups automatically?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mbrannon:

I'm actually surprised to find a recent backup. Does 1 password make local backups automatically?

Yes, local vaults are backed up locally and automatically :)

This discussion has been closed.