To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switch 1P 6 to 7: where is my vault?

Thais
Thais
Community Member

Hi everyone,

After hesitating for a loooong time to do the switch between my "old" 1P to the 7, I have finally taken the plunge but I'm wondering:

My "old" vault used to be stored on DropBox. Where's is the 1P7 one stored now?
I'm wondering if I can/should get rid of the one on Dropbox.

Should/Can i get rid of everything 1P prior to the 7 version?

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thais! Welcome to the forum!

My "old" vault used to be stored on DropBox. Where's is the 1P7 one stored now?

It depends on what you chose during the upgrade. If you just upgraded to the 1Password 7 app, your data will still be in Dropbox. If you upgraded to a 1Password membership instead, your data is stored on 1Password.com. In this case, you should remove your old Primary vault so it does not cause duplicates :+1:

Should/Can i get rid of everything 1P prior to the 7 version?

Once everything has been moved over, you can definitely remove previous versions of the app from your system.

• Thais
    Thais
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana;
    Thanks for your reply!
    I did take a membership but actually I realised that not all of my passwords had been transferred to 1Password 7...
    The thing is: I downloaded 1Password 7 ages ago (more than a year) and I've been using both so I think that some passwords are only on the 6 version and some on the 7... Do you know if there is an easy way to reconcile both vaults? Or should I check manually which passwords are missing... ? (considering that I have close to 500 elements, I really don't want to do this :(

• Hi @Thais,

Unfortunately there isn't a way to 'merge' such vaults without creating a lot of duplicate entries. Have you been making changes in both, or only in 1Password 6? If the data in 1Password 7 is stale, we can wipe that out and then re-import from v6. If you've made changes in both I'm afraid you'd need to reconcile that manually.

Ben

• JoshFindit
    JoshFindit
    Community Member

Hey @Ben,

Wouldn't it be possible to merge such vaults either by prompting for each item one at a time, or using "last modified" date to determine which information is "correct"?
    It might get messy for notes/comments (good use case for prompting the user), but for passwords it would essentially trivial, especially if 1Password stored the "previous version".

Signed,

Very hesitant about migrating 1466 items from 1Password 6 with Dropbox, to a membership account.

• @JoshFindit

Very hesitant about migrating 1466 items from 1Password 6 with Dropbox, to a membership account.

This particularly difficulty appears to have been created by using both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7, with data stored in different locations. If you're not planning on attempting that I wouldn't anticipate similar issues.

Wouldn't it be possible to merge such vaults either by prompting for each item one at a time, or using "last modified" date to determine which information is "correct"?
    It might get messy for notes/comments (good use case for prompting the user), but for passwords it would essentially trivial, especially if 1Password stored the "previous version".

It is possible to sort your items by last modification date which may help you in determining which item to keep and which to trash, but 1Password does not make that determination for you.

Ben

• Thais
    Thais
    Community Member

Ok, thanks for your answers Ben. I'll give it a go manually, there shouldn't be that many to reconcile..

• Sounds good @Thais. Please let me know if there is anything we can help with along the way. :)

Ben

• JoshFindit
    JoshFindit
    Community Member

@Ben I am unfortunately planning on something similar.
    6 is working fine for 99% of what I need, and I am looking at trying 7 + membership for a month or two then possibly going back to 6.

• @JoshFindit

We really can't recommend that. 1Password 6 has been retired and isn't being updated anymore. Forward is the direction we'd point you in. :)

Ben

• JoshFindit
    JoshFindit
    Community Member

@Ben Indeed

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.