1Password 7.6.1 for iOS: animations on password autofill

jonwhite
jonwhite
Community Member

When I use autofill on a website where username and password fields are shown progressively (or on separate pages), I am seeing the 1Password lock screen animate up on to the screen, and then animate down again after filling the username/password. I am seeing this animation twice. Even worse, on iOS with Touch ID I have to authenticate twice, once for the username and once for the password.

I haven’t tested this extensively, but it looks like on websites with username and password on the same screen (e.g. Instapaper) the action works like it did before: tap “sign in”, tap the blue button to enter credentials, authenticate with Face ID (automatic) or Touch ID (use sensor), tap “sign in” and it’s done.

Is it necessary to show this animation and to have to unlock twice? It doesn’t seem to add anything to the experience except friction. My settings in Advanced | Security have Password Autofill selected OFF.

The process used to be straightforward, and now it’s a pain.

By the way, the 1Password behaviour where it seems to forget the Touch ID/Face ID setting after an update unless I toggle it off and on again seems to still be present.

1Password Version: 7.6.1
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: IOS 13.6
Sync Type: NA
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill iOS

Comments

• Hi @jonwhite

Is this happening on an iPhone or an iPad? With 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill OFF I wouldn't expect that you'd see the 1Password lock screen at all, particularly if using an iPhone, unless you're tapping on 1Password in the autofill list.

Please let me know.

By the way, the 1Password behaviour where it seems to forget the Touch ID/Face ID setting after an update unless I toggle it off and on again seems to still be present.

In order to unlock 1Password data in autofill using biometrics you have to first launch and unlock the 1Password app. This is because unlocking from the autofill interface cannot store the secret required for future biometric unlock in the iOS keychain. This can only be done by the 1Password app, when launched from the home screen. If the secret isn't in the keychain when you try to use autofill, then the Master Password will be required.

Ben

• jonwhite
    jonwhite
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting back to me.

This happens on both iOS and iPadOS. I have just checked the settings on both to be sure, and Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill is OFF on both devices.

I have my devices set up to use only 1Password for autofilling passwords.

I have just tried it again and here are the results:

iOS on iPhone 8 Plus with 1Password locked

www.evernote.com (“progressive” username and password fields)

1. Tap “Log in”
    2. Pop up “Log in to Evernote.com using 1Password?”
    3. Tap Use
    4. 1Password slides up, asking me to authenticate using Touch ID
    5. Authenticate with Touch ID
    6. Username is filled
    7. Back on www.evernote.com, tap Continue
    8. Password field is then revealed
    9. Tap in Password field
    10. Keyboard pops up with caption “for Evernote.com — 1Password ”
    11. Tap caption
    12. 1Password pops up, asking me to authenticate using Touch ID
    13. Authenticate with Touch ID
    14. Password is filled
    15. Tap Sign In
    16. I then paste in the TOTP code that 1Password copied for me.

If 1Password is currently unlocked, I do not have to authenticate using Touch ID, but the sheet still slides up and then down for both the username and password fields.

www.instapaper.com (site with username on password both visible on the same page

1. Tap “sign in”
    2. Tap in Email field
    3. Pop up “Log in to Instapaper.com using 1Password”
    4. Tap Use
    5. 1Password presents a modal dialog (not a slide up sheet) asking me to authenticate using Touch ID
    6. Authenticate with Touch ID
    7. Username and password both filled
    8. Tap Sign In
    9. Done.

iPadOS on iPad Pro 2020

www.evernote.com (“progressive” username and password fields)

Same as for iOS except that the device uses Face ID so it authenticates automatically.

www.instapaper.com (site with username on password both visible on the same page

Same as for iOS except that the device uses Face ID so it authenticates automatically.

I have screen recordings of all these, if they might be of use (and if I can get them to you without posting here, because I don’t want to reveal PII)

Unlocking 1Password using Touch ID or Face ID

I should have known better than to mention two separate issues in the same post; sorry about that. I don’t think I explained myself very well. What I am talking about is that if I do an update to iOS or iPad, the first time I use 1Password after the device reboots, it wants the full master passphrase, as expected. However, when subsequently unlocking, 1Password fails to respect Settings | Security | [Touch|Face] ID, and I must enter the full passphrase again. IF i toggle Settings | Security | [Touch|Face] ID off and then on again, it remembers in future.

• I'm going to talk to our development team about the various situations using autofill... It does seem odd to me that the situation would be different between those two sites. In the meantime could you please confirm that for each of those sites you only have a single matching item?

As for the update situation:

What I am talking about is that if I do an update to iOS or iPad, the first time I use 1Password after the device reboots, it wants the full master passphrase, as expected. However, when subsequently unlocking, 1Password fails to respect Settings | Security | [Touch|Face] ID, and I must enter the full passphrase again.

This is what I would expect if you're interacting with 1Password through autofill. If you're launching the 1Password app from the home screen and are seeing this behavior there, that would be odd. I haven't seen that behavior on any of my devices, and don't see any reports filed about it. As such it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue. An uninstall/reinstall may help alleviate the problem, if you haven't attempted that yet.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2020

When I use autofill on a website where username and password fields are shown progressively (or on separate pages), I am seeing the 1Password lock screen animate up on to the screen, and then animate down again after filling the username/password. I am seeing this animation twice. Even worse, on iOS with Touch ID I have to authenticate twice, once for the username and once for the password.

I haven’t tested this extensively, but it looks like on websites with username and password on the same screen (e.g. Instapaper) the action works like it did before: tap “sign in”, tap the blue button to enter credentials, authenticate with Face ID (automatic) or Touch ID (use sensor), tap “sign in” and it’s done.

I see this daily too, for an app which has both Username and Password on a single dialog. To get both to be filled, I have to invoke the 1Password auto-fill pop-up twice, once for each of those items. The process is fairly tedious, especially since I have to enter the Search dialog and enter the search criteria twice (since the previous search results are not remembered per call, even though just searched seconds ago).

When doing this, when trying to get the Username filled, the TouchID icon appears if the 1Password app is not unlocked. But on the second time (for filling in Password), sometimes it does not appear. In either case, it allows TouchID (it's just that the fingerprint icon may not appear on subsequent instantiations - it feels semi-random). If 1Password is unlocked via the app, the interface seems to always be consistent.

Also to note, sometimes the pop-up dialog just appears for authentication, and then just disappears and I have to re-invoke the auto-fill dialog.

There are enough keystrokes, tapping and animation delays, that with a not terribly long password, it would be faster to enter username and password manually.

(Why are there no Favorites in this pop-up dialog? That alone would save time.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, all of that is handled by the OS (except for when you open 1Password itself from the "Passwords", "key" icon, or "1Password..." options in iOS Password Autofill. Originally it was much more confusing to me, as it seemed fairly random which I'd be presented with, but it seems to have settled with subsequent updates so that it's a bit more consistent -- though I still wouldn't claim to understand how it determines exactly which option(s) to show at a given time. Biometrics are also part of that. In the beginning, Apple explicitly said that it would be necessary to unlock for each Autofill use, but that seems to have been relaxed slightly over time in that if you fill multiple times in a short period in the same context, it often isn't necessary to unlock repeatedly. Still confusing because the "rules" are not entirely clear, but it has improved substantially -- and also we've had time to acclimate.

With iOS Password Autofill, we don't have any control over any of the presentation. But when opening 1Password's UI, Favorites should be at the top, but I agree that it would be nice to have it be easy to recognize them.

ref: apple-4910

• jonwhite
    jonwhite
    Community Member

Sorry for the late response, I hadn’t realise there was an update.

To Ben:

Yes, there’s only one matching entry for each of those sites. Seeing MrC’s comment, I’m glad I am not the only one seeing this! I will consider an uninstall/reinstall to see if the behaviour changes.

I am indeed seeing the master password behaviour when launching 1Password from the home screen. As soon as I see it a second time, I know to then go into settings and toggle the switch as I mentioned. It’s not the end of the world. 🙂

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

FYI. The behavior now seems consistent with the latest beta, as per brenty’s suggestion above.

• jonwhite
    jonwhite
    Community Member

To MrC

Re your paragraph:

There are enough keystrokes, tapping and animation delays, that with a not terribly long password, it would be faster to enter username and password manually.

I find this annoying to the extent that for some sites, I just go to 1Password first and copy the password, then go back to the app or Safari and log in manually, pasting the password into the appropriate field, just so save the multiple animations, taps, and authentications. For sites without TOTP this is often much faster.

I’m also considering switching some non-TOTP logins from 1Password to iCloud Keychain to see if that reduces friction. I don’t currently use iCloud Keychain at all, and it’s disabled in Autofill, but it might be worth a go.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jonwhite:

I’m also considering switching some non-TOTP logins from 1Password to iCloud Keychain to see if that reduces friction. I don’t currently use iCloud Keychain at all, and it’s disabled in Autofill, but it might be worth a go.

For what it's worth, our official recommendation is to only use 1Password for autofill: keeping both 1Password and Keychain enabled at the same time can cause some confusion, and make 1Password not work as well as it should because of interference.

• jonwhite
    jonwhite
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I understand what you’re saying but – for me at least – 1Password has regressed in its Autofill workflow. I started using 1Password at version 2 (Mac) and every version for Mobile, and it does not seem as fast and frictionless as it has been in the past, to the point where I’m considering whether a different method would be better.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jonwhite:

I personally think 1Password autofill is much better than the old method, but if you preferred the old way of doing things, I suppose you can still use the old 1Password extension for iOS:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

This discussion has been closed.