Your system will not accept my QR code via scan or import

Options
jiveslemke
jiveslemke
Community Member

My MacBook broke and I am installing my new MacBook Pro. Your system is not showing me as an active account holder and will not accept my QR code via scan or import even though the app is active on my iphone and current laptop.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:MacBook broke, am setting my new MacBook Your system will not accept my QR code via scan or import.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jiveslemke

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble. To get started could you please tell me:

1. Have you tried scanning the Setup Code directly from the iPhone's screen using 1Password for Mac? You can bring up the Setup Code on the iPhone's screen by opening 1Password for iOS and navigating to Settings > 1Password Accounts > [Your Account] > Set Up Other Devices. You should then be able to scan that code using the camera on your MacBook Pro using 1Password for Mac.
    2. On your iPhone and your current laptop, do you see a vault called "Primary" in the apps? If so, that is likely to be tripping you up, for the reason below.

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

So, if you have a Primary vault on a device, you would be unlocking 1Password on that device using that vault's password... That password may be different from your 1Password.com account password, which is what you need in order to add your account to a new device. For that and other reasons we recommend moving any data out of the Primary vault and deleting it.

Please let me know what you find.

Ben

• jiveslemke
    jiveslemke
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, I have tried scanning my cr code, typing the written code. I am trying to switch from vs 6 on old mac to vs 7 on new. I've spent hours on this and not progressing which has changed from aggravation to absolute frustration. I can't move forward and I'm fearful of losing my data. I am reasonable capably in everyday technology but the answers on the forums make me feel I need to be a developer to fix. I would benefit from an active conversation - in person or online. . I am going to change providers if I can't change quickly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jiveslemke:

We will be happy to continue helping you online for as long as necessary, either here or via email :+1:

I am reasonable capably in everyday technology but the answers on the forums make me feel I need to be a developer to fix.

Where are you getting stuck exactly? What is the part that you find difficult? If you could let us know, we can certainly try to simplify it.

• stellaa9x
    stellaa9x
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I have the same problem :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stellaa9x:

What do you see when you try to scan your QR code? Do you get an error message?

This discussion has been closed.