Created Account and forgot Master Password

So on 5/15 I created our 1password.com Teams account, and finally getting back to configuring our Vaults realized that I (yes I recognize the irony) don't remember the Master Password. Is it possible to change the master password? Or wipe it out so we can re-configure it with a new Master Password? Thanks so much in advance for your help. Soo excited to start using it immediately. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scottdockroi, welcome to our forum! :chuffed:

As part of our security design, we never have any record of our customers' self chosen Master Passwords. We purposefully have zero access to any of our customer's accounts, and cannot reset the sign-in details for anyone. However, there may be a few options available to you:

• If there's an account owner or administrator who can still sign in, then they can help you out by going through the account recovery process with you. You'll get a special link via email that will let you reset your own sign-in details, and after they've completed the process for you, you'll be able to sign back in with the new details. So if there's an owner or administrator who can sign in, reach out to them and ask them to follow this guide with you: https://support.1password.com/recovery/

• If you've saved and completed your Emergency Kit for your membership, you can find your self-chosen Master Password there: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

• There's no penalty for having too many incorrect sign-in attempts, so you can always visit the sign-in address for your account in your web browser, and try signing in as many times as you like, using as many variations of Master Password as you think you may have chosen. Account Master Passwords have a minimum length of 10 characters, if that helps you to filter out some possibilities. We also have a guide with some other tips and tricks, you can find it here: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

I hope that helps; please let me know if you have any questions! :+1:

• scottdockroi
    scottdockroi
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Thank you John. Another administrator was able to get me into our Teams account. So that particular issue is solved. THANK YOU.

Now I need to find out how to do this with my personal Family account, where there is no other admin. I have the emergency kit, but did not write down the master password.

• scottdockroi
    scottdockroi
    Community Member

OK, so thanks to Twitter support for showing me how to delete my family account. Unfortunately, this cancelled the subscription (that I received as complimentary from my work account). Now when I went back to my work account, I no longer see the "sign up for your complimentary family account link" within the work account portal. Can you please help restore that for me? Thanks in advance.

• scottdockroi
    scottdockroi
    Community Member

Hi, John. THANK YOU for your help. I am now back into both accounts AND have saved the master passwords. :) I've been a paying customer of the standalone app for many years and pumped to have joined the 1password.com family. You guys rock.

• Thanks for the update @scottdockroi. Glad to hear things are sorted. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.