A Login is setup in 1P but a new password sets it up in a new Password file (Key icon). Why

RTM
RTM
Community Member

Why, when I have a Login already setup in 1P but want to generate a better PW, does it create another file with the name preceded by 'www.' and in a new Password file (with the Key icon)? In other words, it doesn't update my existing Login file but creates another one with a Password icon. This seems very confusing and unnecessary. I've got my desktop (1P 7) active and am also using the extension tab in the Toolbar to search. Also, if I am on a website and want to log in, 1P does not come up with the website I am on; I must search for it. Perhaps two different problems here but it just doesn't seem right.

1Password Version: 7 on a Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why, when I have a Login setup in 1P but want to generate a better one, does it create another one with the name preceded by 'www.' and have a Password icon (the Key)

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RTM!

Why, when I have a Login already setup in 1P but want to generate a better PW, does it create another file with the name preceded by 'www.' and in a new Password file (with the Key icon)? In other words, it doesn't update my existing Login file but creates another one with a Password icon.

We are aware of a bug that could cause this in certain cases, so it's possible that you have encountered it too. Our developers are aware of this :+1:

Also, if I am on a website and want to log in, 1P does not come up with the website I am on; I must search for it.

When you click on the browser extension button, what is the dropdown menu there set to? Is it set to Suggestions? Because from what you are saying, it sounds like yours is currently set to "All Items":

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks once again, ag_ana. As for the first item, does that bug exist in 1Password X too? And for my second questions, duh! Why didn't I think of that?

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

By the way, I just got a very comprehensive reply from Laura in Support to the several questions I'd asked. The Ticket #, which you requested, is #XYB-55927-296. Admittedly some of the questions I asked were somewhat similar to what you had helped me with but just wanted to put them all together.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

You are very welcome! And I don't believe the bug exists in 1Password X, if you would like to give that a try :+1:

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks, I think I will give it a try, very soon. Am also thinking about using the browser Brave, and in fact have raised such a question with your colleague, Ben.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

That would certainly be a supported combination, since we offer 1Password X for Brave too ;)

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks. May start 1P X with Chrome and then, once I'm sure I like it and Chrome is set up the way I want it, then I'll give Brave a try. Good to know you support it though.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds like a plan :+1: :)

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

I'm now trying Chrome and have installed the 1P X extension. However, it suggests that to be sure the 1PX is "integrated" with my 1Paaword 7 for Mac that I should also download and install the 1Password X Beta and the 1Password for Mac (I presume that's the 7) Beta. A couple of questions: 1. Does "integrate" mean the same as sync so that I don't have two separate sets of passwords? 2. While I've never been a fan of using Beta versions, do I need to worry about doing so in this case? Will everything run as smoothly in the Beta versions? 3. If I d'load the 2 Betta versions, do I need to uninstall the non-beta versions?

• @RTM

Desktop App Integration is a beta feature of 1Password X. It does require the 1Password for Mac beta as well. Unless you're interested in using the beta versions for the purposes of helping us find bugs, I wouldn't generally point you in that direction.

The primary thing Desktop App Integration does is allow locking / unlocking 1Password for Mac to also lock / unlock 1Password X (and vice versa). With a 1Password membership your data will be the same in both places regardless of that feature though.

Ben

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben, for clarifying that both will be in sync without the need for the Beta apps. While I'm trying to update all my missing (lost) password s imported from LastPass I'm using the desktop to find the many Logins that are unnamed except for the URL found inside. Those are the ones I'm needing to rename, add usernames, tags, etc, and generate new passwords. It sure is time-consuming but gotta be done. But I've used the 1P X extension a few times, left on 'Suggestions" and it seems to be working like a charm. Thanks for your help and valued input.

• You're most welcome @RTM. I hope it all works out. If there is anything else we can do please reach out. :)

Ben

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Just so you and ag_ana know, I did move to Chrome and like the 1P X much better than the Safari extension. Sees to just work more smoothly, fewer hiccups, if any, etc. Then, a couple of days ago I decided to try Brave in lieu of Chrome. What a delight thus far. The transition was about as smooth and easy as I've ever experienced. During the install/setup process (really seemed all-in-one) all my bookmarks, extensions, etc came over without exception, very quickly. I was up and running in Brave in a heartbeat and it seems, feels, and looks like Chrome, as seamless as could be. Actually like the interface a bit better, very clean. Perhaps a tad faster overall, but very noticeably faster on loading websites. Efficiency and RAM usage seems to be slightly better, too, yet it's really too early to tell on that score. All in all, couldn't be happier thus far. Hope it stays that way as it would be great to get out from under the thumb of Google--at least to some extent--if you get my drift.

• That's awesome! I'm so glad to hear that Brave has been working well for you, and 1Password X is ticking along nicely with it. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.