I am working to convert weak passwords to strong. WatchTower is not updating

I open 1Password.com and access Watchtowerwhich reports 21 weak passwords. I corrected one login but it still appears in the Weak Password lits. (tests did the generated password get stored in 1PW = Yes, Does the new password open the account = Yes. Did the account disappear from the WatchTower weak password list = NO. I closed and reopened 1Password.com no update, I rebooted the system no update. What is the trigger to update the WatchTower list?

Is there a way to export the list to use as a process control?

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10 Build 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:watchtower not updating

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dgraves!

I corrected one login but it still appears in the Weak Password lits.

Are you able to consistently reproduce this? If you can, please send us step by step instructions on what you are doing to make this happen and we will be happy to test them :+1:

Is there a way to export the list to use as a process control?

You could, but exporting items from 1Password means that they are not protected by encryption anymore, so please be very careful if you do this. I am not quite sure what you mean by "process control" though, can you elaborate on what you are trying to do?

• dgraves
    dgraves
    Community Member

Account X was in 1Password with a simple password and therefore on the Weak Password list.
    I test existing account logins first, I change the passwords second. I retest the login with the new password last. (I try to repair any errors while the steps taken are fresh in my mind.)
    I generated and installed the following password GTBe6NjDE for Account X (9 characters no symbols) to meet Account X requirements (no symbols allowed) I used the "How to Change a Password in both an account and 1Password" instructions. The new 1Password login works.

However, Account X is still on the WatchTower Weak Password list.

Process Control: I have 24 weak passwords (of 149 total). I want an updatable list so I can pick an account to update and when the new password is installed, the list shows the 23 remaining weak passwords. The object of the process is to drive the number of accounts on the weak password list to zero by scratching off the accounts that have been done. I am picking accounts based on the risk and impact of a lockout if I mess up the update Major operational accounts from firms that are hard to work with to straighten out errors go last.

I have three tabs set up in Chrome -> 1Password.com to read Watchtower, -> The Account URL -> scratch to look at 1Password button. Going back and forth between tabs is needed but not a smooth process. I am going to help my sister do her set up next and am working out the details. Printing parts like the Weak Password list could be an easier process. I am open to any suggestions.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dgraves:

Thank you for the instructions! After following them, I was not able to reproduce this behavior. I will use the opportunity to ask you again whether you are able to consistently reproduce this, or if this was just a one time thing. Thank you!

I have three tabs set up in Chrome -> 1Password.com to read Watchtower, -> The Account URL -> scratch to look at 1Password button. Going back and forth between tabs is needed but not a smooth process.

Is there a reason why you are doing all of this in the browser? You posted this discussion in the Windows section of the forum, so I am assuming that you are also using the 1Password for Windows desktop app, as you mentioned in your original post? You can access the Watchtower list from the app too, so you can remove one tab from the browser.

• dgraves
    dgraves
    Community Member

I found the problem. I did a system shutdown/reboot. Using 1Password.com app WatchTower -> Weak Password the report includes 20 accounts. The account mentioned above is not included in the list. Using Chrome 1Password.com WatchTower -> Weak Password the report includes 21 accounts. The account mentioned above (e.g. Account X) is included in the list.

I included the version data in the original post,
    Password Version: 7.4.753
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: Win 10 Build 1909
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:watchtower not updating

• dgraves
    dgraves
    Community Member

Password cleanup work is progressing well. Thank you for all your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dgraves:

Password cleanup work is progressing well. Thank you for all your help.

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear this :)

When I updated my test Login item as per your instructions, that entry was removed both from Watchtower in the app and in the browser for me. We will keep an eye out for similar reports and see if someone else is also able to reproduce this :+1:

This discussion has been closed.