Performance issues with 1Password for Windows

2»

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Ted, please update to 1.0.9.248, and let us know right away whether turning off password-strength calculation yields a perceptible improvement in performance.

Thanks!
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    jpgoldberg wrote:

Thanks Stefan!

I see that 1.0.9.248 is already out.

Ted, let's see if this works for you.

(If it does we are still left with the puzzle of why password strength calculation takes so much longer on Ted's system.)

Cheers,

-j

Unfortunately no change.

Ooops! Responded to wrong post (this "no change" was after rebuilding my data file via 1Password on the Mac). Going to test latest version and turn off password complexity.
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

Ted, please update to 1.0.9.248, and let us know right away whether turning off password-strength calculation yields a perceptible improvement in performance.

Thanks!

Updated to latest (1.0.9.248) and there is progress. And some discoveries with the FF plugin that may or may not help point in the right direction.

Previously:

1. Reboot
    2. Start 1Password - unlocking 30-60 seconds.
    3. Lock.
    4. Unlock - unlocking 30-60 seconds.

FF plugin:
    1. Reboot
    2. Start FF plugin - opening 30 seconds.
    3. Start 1Password...can't remember, but quite sure would also take the usual 30-60 seconds.

Now after update (and turning off the password complexity view - if I don't turn it off, same performance as before):
    1. Reboot
    2. Start 1Password - unlocking 30-60 seconds (same as before)
    3. Lock
    4. Unlock - unlocks in 0-2 seconds. Great news.

FF plugin:
    1. Reboot
    2. Start FF plugin - opening 20-30 seconds (?)
    3. 1Password - unlocking 10-20 seconds
    4. Lock
    5. Both 0-2 seconds.

And to keep us guessing, if I turn on the password complexity after doing the above, there's minimal to no performance penalty (1-3 seconds - both with initially viewing, and after a lock). Go figure.

Therefore, would lead me to believe that the FF plugin interacts with a 1Password service in some way, and in that service init, you've got a costly call. Then in the 1Password init, there's a second costly call. If the service init hasn't taken place (via the FF plugin), the 1Password app hits both of them. Subsequent locks are no longer affected.

And that's more than the amount of time I can spend on this right now, but hopefully it helps.

UPDATE: Well, happened to just stumble on something. The password complexity related issue appears to be *if the list is sorted by password complexity*. Not going to test how it does after reboot, but if the list is sorted by password complexity then subsequent locks choke. Otherwise, it's reasonable (1-3 seconds to open). That may explain why you couldn't duplicate.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Ted.

We didn't think the password complexity calculation was having much impact, so its absence showing little change is what we expected. (The benefit of having the new option is that know we know.) It's interesting to think it might be related to whether the listed items are sorted on password strength. I don't see see any difference in launch speed on my own system, but I don't have anything like 700 Login items. Perhaps someone else with a comparably large number of Login items can check and let us know.

Please try disabling the Automatically Check for Updates and the Include Beta versions options on the Updates tab of 1Password preferences.

Please let us know whether that helps.
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

Thanks, Ted.

We didn't think the password complexity calculation was having much impact, so its absence showing little change is what we expected. (The benefit of having the new option is that know we know.) It's interesting to think it might be related to whether the listed items are sorted on password strength. I don't see see any difference in launch speed on my own system, but I don't have anything like 700 Login items. Perhaps someone else with a comparably large number of Login items can check and let us know.

Please try disabling the Automatically Check for Updates and the Include Beta versions options on the Updates tab of 1Password preferences.

Please let us know whether that helps.

David,

To make sure we're on the same page, if you turn the password complexity column off, after every unlock after the first: it goes from 30-60 seconds to 0-2 seconds. Likewise, if you still show it, but don't sort on it, it goes from 3o-60 seconds down to 1-3 seconds.

I've disabled the auto checks and we'll see how that goes.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    I must've misread your post, Ted. Thanks for the clarification.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    tulbox wrote:

Oh noes! The changed extension breaks my keyboard shortcut! My mapped alt-z no longer auto-fills the password in Chrome (I have to use the mouse).

Version 1.0.9.249 should fix this problem. Can you please download version 1.0.9.249 and confirm the fix? Thanks!
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    DBrown wrote:

We didn't think the password complexity calculation was having much impact,

What do you mean "we", Paleface? :wink:

Cheers,

-j
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member

Version 1.0.9.249 should fix this problem. Can you please download version 1.0.9.249 and confirm the fix? Thanks!

Unfortunately not. Please see http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/9744-1password-chrome-shortcut-problem/page__st__20

Ted
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    tulbox wrote:

I've disabled the auto checks and we'll see how that goes.

Been out of town and only had MacBook with me. Unfortunately, after a reboot it still takes a good 40 seconds to login (after 10 seconds or so there's a slight shift in the "waiting" dialogue which makes me think there could be two slow processes) even with the auto check disabled.

Any further progress on this one?

Ted
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    tulbox wrote:

Been out of town and only had MacBook with me. Unfortunately, after a reboot it still takes a good 40 seconds to login

Do not sort by password strength. Sort by some other column (title, for example)
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member

Do not sort by password strength. Sort by some other column (title, for example)

I'm the one who discovered that as a solution...unfortunately that's not the issue following a reboot.

Ted
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Have you tried removing password strength from view? Uncheck View > Show Password Strength. Does that make a difference?
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Have you tried removing password strength from view? Uncheck View > Show Password Strength. Does that make a difference?

See above (yes, makes a big difference, but already turned off).

In summary, current situation is:

Running BETA-260 (available today) with auto-update disabled and "password complexity" set to not show.

1. No proxy so not applicable.
    2. Looks like shortcuts are now all happy.
    3. Plugins appear to be happy in both Chrome and FF.
    4. Now takes 11 seconds after reboot to start up following entering master password (and I assume the same amount of time after x amount of no action).

Ted
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Another thing that can take a few moments on start-up is the test for whether it's time to check for updates and, if so, to perform that check.

You might experiment with the settings on the Updates tab of 1Password preferences to see whether it helps.
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

Another thing that can take a few moments on start-up is the test for whether it's time to check for updates and, if so, to perform that check.

You might experiment with the settings on the Updates tab of 1Password preferences to see whether it helps.

Yes, you've already suggested this and I've already got it set turned off.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, Ted.

Without being able to sit down next to you, I'm not sure how we'll figure out what's going on, but we'll keep giving it some thought.
  • tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, Ted.

Without being able to sit down next to you, I'm not sure how we'll figure out what's going on, but we'll keep giving it some thought.

Would it help to do a remote session with me?

Ted
  • Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    I have perfomance issue too (only when unlocking 1Pass for Win). It started with about .200 version.
    Unlocking extension (in Firefox 9.0.1, Chrome 16) and program taking about 7 seconds.
    I use 2 GB RAM, Intel Core2Duo E4500 2.20GHz, Win 7 Ultimate
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    When 1Password is slow at launch and/or unlock, it is usually because of one or more of the following factors:

1. A proxy is blocking our check for new versions. In this case, you can configure 1Password to resolve this (File > Preferences > Network), or disable automatic updates (File > Preferences > Updates).

2. [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain is stored on a network share or some other drive that is slow. (1Password is very disk I/O intensive.)[/font] In this case, you can move [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] to the startup drive.

3. Some anti-virus "solution" is scanning each and every file. In this case, you can try disabling such programs to see if that helps.

4. If the password strength column is turned on and items are sorted by password strength, 1Password will calculate the password strength for all items in order to perform this task. Depending on a few different factors, this can result in slow performance. In this case, you can disable the display of password strength (View > Show Password Strength).
  • Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    khad, i don't use proxy, .agilekeychain stored on startup drive, I disable anti-virus for .agilekeychain and slowdown unlocking happened with extensions, not only program.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    I disable anti-virus for .agilekeychain

Thanks for letting me know, Denys. Just for troubleshooting purposes could you try completely disabling your antivirus program (rather than just whitelisting your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] data)?

What security software are you running (AVG, Sophos, NOD32, etc.)?
  • Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    Full disabling anti-virus doesn't change anything. Unlocking 1Pass takes from 3 to 5 secs.
    I use NOD32 5.0
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    The first launch of the day will usually take a little longer, as 1Password checks whether you want to check for an udpate, calculates (if so) whether it's time to check for an update, and then checks (if so) for the update.

Subsequent launches should happen more quickly.

Is it happening to you every time you launch 1Password or its browser extension for Chrome or Safari, all through the day?
  • Denys Davydov
    Denys Davydov
    Community Member
    edited January 2012
    David, thank you. No, it's happened from time to time, may be one time per day, as you say. But I haven't this problem in early builds.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    Well, this has been the behavior for quite some time.

Version 1.0.1.200 came out a long time ago...at least in software-development terms. :D
  • butakimchee
    butakimchee
    Community Member
    This may be a crazy suggestion, but if you are having app performance issues, why not move the keychain to the SSD? The previous posts indicate the app is disk intensive.
This discussion has been closed.