Use Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on iMac (August 2020)?

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Since the new iMacs announced today (4-Aug-2020) contain a T2 chip:

Can I use my Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on such an iMac?

(I’ll probably wait for Apple Silicon anyway... ;))

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@XIII - If you're running 7.7.BETA-X, and those new iMacs have a secure enclave, then yes. :)

• @XIII,

It looks like it has a T2 chip in it, so the 7.7 beta should work with it to unlock via AppleWatch without any further changes on our side, we detect the presence of the secure enclave and enable the feature in its presence.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

:+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:)

• @XIII,

Also it doesn't look like they refreshed the 21 inch iMac, so this looks like it only applies to the 27 inch iMac.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@rudy Yes, I already noticed, but thank you for informing me/us.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• schmeddlap
    schmeddlap
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

I'm on a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018) which (reportedly) has the T2 chip but I don't have ANY option to unlock by Apple Watch (only Touch ID under 1Password7 preferences). Verified I'm running 7.7.BETA-7 (70700007). Should I create a help ticket or is this something that someone on this thread could debug? Thanks in advance!
    EDIT Just noticed, in another thread, that Catalina is required for this feature. Somehow I missed that (or it's not documented). So please disregard help request (but perhaps make this requirement clearer if it wasn't just my too-quick scanning that caused me to miss it.).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@schmeddlap:

Have you also enabled Apple Watch approval under System Preferences -> Security -> General -> Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac?

• schmeddlap
    schmeddlap
    Community Member

I have that setting turned on but it only reads "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac." This may be because I am still on Mojave?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@schmeddlap:

That would be it, yes: Catalina is required for the Apple Watch unlock feature.

This discussion has been closed.