Sluggish performance upon editing

jilderda
jilderda
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Mac

Good evening,

since a week or so, my 1Password client on OS-X gets stuck for some 30 seconds before becoming responsive again. There is no slow down in 1Password startup, its responsiveness upon fetching credentials for a web site, or browsing items in the vault. But when editing an item, it instantly gets unresponsive for some 30 seconds upon hitting save or adding a related file. The problem is limited to 1Password on OS-X.

Not sure what created the problem but perhaps the most recent upgrade did. Other than that, nothing changed in my set up. Is there anything I can do to debug this or should I send a diagnostics report to support?

Auke

1Password Version: 7.6 (70600005)
Extension Version: 79.0
OS Version: 10.15.5 (Build: 19F101)
Sync Type: 1Password subscription

Comments

• Hi @jilderda

I'm sorry to hear about the slowness. I'd like to get a sample from 1Password on your computer. The next time the issue occurs, please do the following:

1. Open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder, or use Spotlight to find it.
    2. Search for "1Password 7".
    3. Select it and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    4. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.

Step 2 in particular needs to be done while the issue is occurring. A sample is a "snapshot in time," so to speak, so it will only be helpful if it is taken during the issue. This will give us insight into what 1Password is doing, which will help our development team better understand the problem. Along with the sample, it would be helpful to have a diagnostic report. To generate one please see these instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115009/sluggish-performance-upon-editing
    • Your forum username: jilderda
    • The sample file generated above

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• jilderda
    jilderda
    Community Member

Thank you Ben, I much appreciate your help. I sent the sample file and diagnostics report with associated Support ID #RIU-34561-314. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jilderda:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: RIU-34561-314

• jesseanger
    jesseanger
    Community Member

I too have been having issues with 1Password application slowness when editing items, searching for logins etc. I have followed the advice in this discussion and emailed support with details. [#GVY-16174-854]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jesseanger:

Thank you for letting us know! I see your diagnostics report as well, someone will get back to you as soon as possible :+1:

ref: GVY-16174-854

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member

I had this problem pop up again for me today. In the process of collecting the sample data I noticed that the 1password7 app process was using 3.9GB of Memory (according to Activity Monitor). After a restart of my Mac for other reasons when I restarted 1password it's started up with more respectable 217MB of Memory used.

I wasn't able to get the required data to send to you though.

The memory usage felt unusual. Possible memory leak?

• Hi @AUSFestivus

Thank you for the report. We are aware of some performance issues with 1Password 7.6 for Mac if left running for a period of time. We believe we've got those fixed up for the 7.7 release. :+1:

Ben

• Junrong
    Junrong
    Community Member

I also have the same slowness issue on my MBP Early 2013, 1Password v 7.7 (70700015). It is so slow, I have just timed it with stopwatch app, it was around 30 seconds when perform a 'Save'. I can see many people have the same issue since July/August, has there any solution developed or we just better to wait for next update?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Junrong:

Our developers are looking at this, so hopefully we will have an update soon :) In the meantime, quitting 1Password completely seems to help (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely).

• Ole1234
    Ole1234
    Community Member

@ag_ana I'm experiencing the same major performance issues. Does it add value to send my logs (following the above link) as well? Otherwise I'll with for the release with the fix. Any indication when that would be? Thanks!

• trampco
    trampco
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Same problem here. Today I wanted to update the emails of some of my accounts stored in 1P (around 600 in total), after editing 10 or so the performance started to slowly decline until I had to quit and restart 1P. Performance was better for another 10 edits, then it started to be sluggish again. It is easily reproducible.

System info:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

macOS Big Sur 11.1
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

• Hi folks,

We are tracking a couple of outstanding performance issues with 1Password for Mac. Some of these have been addressed in the latest beta release, but two that it appears still exist for some customers are:

• Slowness while unlocking (particularly if Touch ID is enabled)
    • Increased memory usage leading to overall sluggish response from the app after editing multiple items

If you are having any performance / slowness issues with 1Password for Mac I would encourage you to try the beta version:

Use 1Password beta releases

The next time you experience this slowness, while running the latest beta, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/115009/sluggish-performance-upon-editing#latest
    • Your forum username
    • What happens leading up to the app being slow or under what conditions the problem is noted

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.