Using Second 1P Account To Store Other Information

mkrobo
mkrobo
Community Member

Hello,

I am wondering if it would be smart / secure / best practices to use a second 1P account (one of my extra family accounts) to store information that I wouldn't want to store in my primary account for security reasons.

Here's my scenario:

I keep ALL of my passwords in 1Password BUT I don't want to put my 2-Factor backup codes in there just in case.

So, I was thinking that I could put these (my 2-F backup codes) in a second 1Password account (again, one of my extra Family Accounts) as they would theoretically be separated from my passwords.

What are your thoughts on this please as you are the experts ;)

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Michael

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mkrobo! Welcome to the forum!

Personally, it looks like a lot of effort for this. If you don't want to store your 2FA codes inside your main 1Password vault, perhaps it would be simpler to just use an authenticator app?

The reason I say this is because you can certainly create a second 1Password account for this, but then you would have to use a specific device just for this second 1Password account (because you cannot add multiple users from the same Families account to a single 1Password app). So you would have to use, say, your phone just with this second account.

Unless you have a spare device lying around that you could use only for this, I think it might not be an ideal solution.

• mkrobo
    mkrobo
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I already use Authy for this (when possible) BUT I was looking for a place to store the 2-F backup codes only. I'll probably just use 2 secure USB drives for this and have each in a different location. OR - I can use another PW manager... Thanks again !

• On behalf on Ana, you're very welcome @mkrobo! There's a little bit of discussion on storing TOTP secrets in 1Password over here on our forum if you're interested in this.

This discussion has been closed.