Revisiting bookmarks

adam1991
adam1991
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Lounge

I noticed this in my list of discussions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88081/off-the-reservation-here-xmarks-is-going-away

I have a work life and a home life, and I keep them separate. I also like to use the same browser for each, although in different user accounts and/or different computers. XMarks and its simple system helped me well through all that.

After XMarks went away, I went to using Firefox's simple mechanism for backing up/synchronizing bookmarks in the cloud. It really doesn't require much and is very unobtrusive.

But Firefox isn't all that great, so I went to Chrome. Chrome is happy to log you into your Google account and use that to synchronize your Chrome experience. Eh, OK. I do have Google accounts for each home and work, so that works.

Now I'm on Edge, and liking it. I do have a personal Microsoft account, so it's happily synchronizing my Edge experience across machines in that regard--all for my personal account. But I don't have a work Microsoft account. So now I'm back to "wow, I really liked XMarks..." because really, the biggest thing I care about is backing up and synchronizing bookmarks.

I would LOVE to have a browser-independent, OS-independent, big-tech-login-independent way to do that one thing: back up and synchronize bookmarks.

I DO use my 1P cloud account inside each of my home and work lives.

I would like to see an option in 1P to synchronize bookmarks and keep them in vaults, and let me apply a vault to a browser as needed. I have password vaults for home and work; man, always-synchronized bookmark vaults for home and work would be killer.

Just noodling here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @adam1991!

Thank you for your thoughts on this :+1:

I would like to see an option in 1P to synchronize bookmarks and keep them in vaults, and let me apply a vault to a browser as needed.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "apply a vault to a browser" though? I am not sure I understand what you mean by that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@adam1991:

Thank you for the clarification! 1Password is a password manager, so I don't think extending it to make it become a real bookmark manager is something we will focus on. After reading your posts however, I was wondering if you considered using a separate vault called Bookmarks, and populating it with Login items with just the website field filled in, without username and password?

If you want to avoid a separate vault, you could also use the bookmarks tag in these items:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @adam1991! :)

This discussion has been closed.