2 questions regarding how the admin displays permissions

jboren
jboren
Community Member

Greetings,
I have 2 related questions.

1.) In the admin, when viewing a vaults details, Groups with access are listed at the top and Users with access under that. If a user is included in one of the groups that has access will they show in the list of users below who have access or does that list only contain users who have been explicitly granted access?

2.) In the admin, when viewing a Users's details, the groups they are in are listed at the top, and the individual vaults they have permissions to are listed below. Does the list of vaults show vaults that the user has access to via group permissions, or only vaults they have been explicitly given permission to?

I have a situation where I've added a user to a group, which has permission to a vault, but the user isn't showing in the list of users who have permission to that vault and the vault isn't showing in the list of vaults the user has access to. I can't contact the user to have them see if they can access it, and I'd like to understand how this works before I just start adding permissions.

Thanks!
Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jboren

I'd be happy to help with that:

In the admin, when viewing a vaults details, Groups with access are listed at the top and Users with access under that. If a user is included in one of the groups that has access will they show in the list of users below who have access or does that list only contain users who have been explicitly granted access?

Users who have not been explicitly added (e.g. because they are part of a group that has access) will not be listed in the users section.

In the admin, when viewing a Users's details, the groups they are in are listed at the top, and the individual vaults they have permissions to are listed below. Does the list of vaults show vaults that the user has access to via group permissions, or only vaults they have been explicitly given permission to?

If their access is granted as part of a group membership then the vault will not appear there.

I have a situation where I've added a user to a group, which has permission to a vault, but the user isn't showing in the list of users who have permission to that vault and the vault isn't showing in the list of vaults the user has access to. I can't contact the user to have them see if they can access it, and I'd like to understand how this works before I just start adding permissions.

This sounds normal / expected. If the group the user is in has been given access to the vault, then the user will inherit that access from their group membership. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Thanks, I expected it worked like that but wanted to be sure and I appreciate the clarification.

Best,
    Joe

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @jboren! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.