used password generator to create a new password - it shows as reused password

creating a new website login
used password generator to generate a unique 16 character password. saved that with the new website login.

1Password immediately shows this new password as a reused password, which makes no sense since I just created it.

1Password Version: 7.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:used password generator to create a new password - it shows as reused password

Comments

• paulhustedga
    paulhustedga
    Community Member

created two new website logins this morning. Both showed this behavior.
    new password created - immediately shows as reused password.

last one I did was a login to Agilebits support forum - that shows the same problem.

• paulhustedga
    paulhustedga
    Community Member

version 7.6.778 - just updated on Windows

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I think you may find this because 1P always saves a generated password in the Password Category as well as Login. Thus, automatically it is seen as a duplicated password. I seems counter-intuitive but I believe it may be in case you filed to save the new created password. Why it isn't deleted from the Password category when it has been saved in Log-In is something I cannot explain.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulhustedga,

Sorry for the confusion! I believe Andrew42 is right, when you generate a password with the help of a password generator in 1Password extension, it is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. It works as a backup plan, if you happen not to save a Login item you generated a password for. This is normal and intentional for the moment. If you saved all of your needed passwords as Logins, it is safe to delete the passwords in Passwords category.

In the future we want to add an automatic cleanup function to remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item.

Let me know if it helps. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• paulhustedga
    paulhustedga
    Community Member

that explains it, but makes me wonder why anyone thought the use case made sense.
    generate a password - save it to passwords list behind the scenes
    save the login - the action the user sees on screen - then whine that the password in the login duplicates the extra one saved in the passwords list.

and the user is left with entries in the passwords list that don't say what they were for

yeah - a cleanup function is definitely called for. Or flagging the password entry as "created by this login" so meaningless duplicates are not displayed to user.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulhustedga,

We are always looking at ways to improve 1Password and I will make sure to pass your feedback to our team. Sorry for the troubles!

Please let me know if you have other questions for us, we are always ready to help.

Stay safe,
    Greg

• tealduck
    tealduck
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I'm sorry why do you have to create "automatic cleanup" to fix this defect? All your development staff would have to do is exclude the Passwords category from the duplication check. If you are using a database that is a simple WHERE condition, if you are using some other method it would probably be just as easy to do. This seems like a 1 point user story if there ever was one.

In fact, "automatic cleanup" sounds much more frightening with taking a lot more development time and higher risks for losing valid data which either means larger QA effort or gambling with user satisfaction.

BTW - For any users that want to work around this, just move the Password in the Passwords category to "Trash". Trash passwords are not evaluated in the existing duplication check.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tealduck,

Thank you for your suggestion! Indeed, there are different ways that we can do that. For example, the passwords that you generate via 1Password X are stored separately and do not show up in the item list at all.

The changes and improvements for this behaviour are coming to 1Password for Windows and we will post more news about it when we have them.

If you have other questions, feel free to raise them. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.