How do I set time it takes for 1Password to time out and I have to login again?

DanPhil
DanPhil
Community Member

I had reset the time it takes 1Password to log out requiring me to reenter my password to more than ten minutes. It appears to have changed itself back to ten minutes. I need it to be longer and cannot figure out where that setting was now. Help is appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I set time it takes for 1Password to time out and I have to login again?

Comments

• Hi @DanPhil

I'd be happy to help. Is this in regard to the my.1Password.com web app, inside your web browser, or one of the 1Password desktop/mobile applications (e.g. 1Password for Mac)?

Please let me know.

Ben

• DanPhil
    DanPhil
    Community Member

I prefer using the web browser even though I have the app installed too. It seems to double things up sometimes having both?

• @DanPhil

Which you choose to use is entirely your prerogative. Most customers prefer the apps, but you're certainly welcome to use the web interface exclusively if that is your preference. :) To customize the lock settings for the web interface please visit the profile page at https://start.1password.com/profile:

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DanPhil
    DanPhil
    Community Member

I had found it before, not sure why I could not find it this time. It is reset to 10 minutes, any idea why it reset from what I had previously set it to?

• DanPhil
    DanPhil
    Community Member

Also, I am very new with 1 Password. I don't really understand the difference between the app and web interface. It seems like the app pops up every time I save something and if I save it there it duplicates. What is the best way to utilize these? If I remove the extension from my web browser it does not pop up when I need it to save a new log in. I am sure I am not using it correctly. Any quick tips?

• I had found it before, not sure why I could not find it this time. It is reset to 10 minutes, any idea why it reset from what I had previously set it to?

Because the web app runs within your browser, and stores its settings there, it is subject to the functions/preferences of your browser (such as the clearing of cache/cookies). Unfortunately that is one downside to using the web app.

Also, I am very new with 1 Password. I don't really understand the difference between the app and web interface. It seems like the app pops up every time I save something and if I save it there it duplicates. What is the best way to utilize these? If I remove the extension from my web browser it does not pop up when I need it to save a new log in. I am sure I am not using it correctly. Any quick tips?

To clarify: if you save a previously unsaved item using the browser extension you end up with two of the same item in 1Password? Have you disabled your browser's built-in password management functions? In some cases having those enabled could cause such duplication:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

The desktop app is generally going to be able to provide an experience that is more tightly integrated with your system, and that is the primary reason most folks prefer it. We can offer a greater depth of features with a desktop app than the web app.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.