SUGGESTION - Options for how to manage lock/unlock of 1Password X

Options

First, apologizes if some part of this already is a thing and I just missed it.

Also, I'll mention that I really like the improvements to 1 Password X over the "mini app".

SUGGESTION 1 - I'd like to have a configuration option that would have 1 Password X lock after 10 minutes of no "interaction" but remain unlocked while I have the same browser session open

OR equally as good

SUGGESTION 2 - Allow me to unlock 1Password X on Windows with Windows Hello.

Suggestion 1 is the idea is that if I unlock 1 Password X and then close my browser session (i.e. close all instances of Edge) then open Edge on the same device in less than 10 minutes I don't need to unlock 1 Password X again. Along those same lines if I open Edge and unlock 1 Password and leave that session open all day then 1 Password X stays unlocked.

Suggestion 2 is just having the ability to unlock 1Password X with Windows Hello after I initially unlock with my Master Password... the same as I can do on the desktop App version of 1 Password. I'm pretty sure if I had the Windows Hello feature then I wouldn't really care much about Suggestion 1, but maybe others would.

Thanks for making an awesome product.

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.20.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (OS Build 18363.959)
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Unlock 1password X

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hey @bnipper ,
    Thank you kindly for taking the time to write this feedback and suggestions! Highly appreciated :)

The suggestions you made are on point and we're well aware of how much they are needed, so I'd like to elaborate on the current workings of 1Password X, and what is planned for it in the future.

Currently, 1Password X is limited to the browser's environment and has no outside contact with your operating system. Browsers are very strict when it comes to extensions, so 1Password X is technically limited in what we can do when the browser is closed, which is why we cannot retain the session after you close the browser, and which is why you must unlock it again the next time you open the browser (even if you just unlocked it a minute ago).

Furthermore, the browsers API do not allow us to access your operating system, which means we can't invoke Windows Hello.
    However, we do plan on getting 1Password X to connect to the 1Password desktop app, which will allow for all of the above to occur, since the desktop app has much better integration to your operating system and will grant our browser extension what it needs in order to function like you want it to. This is something we've been working on for quite a while, and hopefully we'll have news on this soon.

Our older companion extension (which can still be installed and used in Chrome and Firefox), connects to the desktop app, remains unlocked even if the browser is closed, and it is possible to unlock it with Windows Hello because the desktop app allows it, but its interface and autofilling experience are a bit outdated. If you'd like to, you can get it from our downloads page: https://1password.com/browsers/

Here are a few suggestions that might make your experience a bit more pleasant with 1Password X for now:

• If you right click the 1Password X icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Settings", you can adjust the auto-lock settings as you see fit (and even turn it off so 1Password X will remain unlocked for as long as the browser is open), but keep in mind we do not recommend keeping 1Password unlocked for long periods of time.
    • If you find yourself needing to unlock 1Password constantly, you might benefit from changing your Master Password to a memorable password, which is long and secured, but much easier to remember and type: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable

I hope that clarifies the situation. Thanks again for bringing this up! And for the kind words :)

• bnipper
    bnipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_yaron ,

Thanks for the very complete reply. I understand your explanation very well and see how the roadmap will lead to what I'm looking for. Looking forward to enjoying the new functionality as it becomes available.

Have a great day,

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad I was able to clarify the situation, @bnipper .

Thank you for bringing this up. Feel free to check up on us every once in a while :)

This discussion has been closed.