Import issue with Windows 10

I have a pif file on my Apple iCloud account that I use with 1password 6.8.8. This is an unpaid account. Back in the day you didn't need a subscription.
I have exported the file and transferred it to a W10 laptop.
I now have a paid account attached to the W10 laptop.
When I attempt to import it into the W10 laptop. It does not show up in the list of files to import.
I have attempted to directly open the file but can't find the 1password application in the programs folders to do so.
I have attempted to export a csv file. Not having any luck with finding a way to import that as it is not one of the options for file types for import.
Any way to get this to work without having to re-type 183 passwords?
Any way to sync to the icloud file as I do with the Mac laptop?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 13.6 and Windows 10
Sync Type: iCloud?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Hi @remltr,

Sync via iCloud is not available on Windows, but 1Password 7 for Windows supports .PIF imports and you can find this option in 1Password > Import > 1PIF:

Could you please make sure to install and set up 1Password 7 for Windows on your W10 laptop? Here is how you can do that:

Get the 1Password apps (Windows)

Let me know how it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• remltr
    remltr
    Community Member

Greg,

I export as pif and when I attempt to import it, it is nowhere to be seen. I have tried saving it to the default folder, but it just does not show up.

• Is this data present in 1Password for Mac, @remltr? If so, I might skip exporting entirely. If you add your new account to 1Password for Mac, your Mac app should automatically prompt you to import it and take care of that whole process for you. If you've already set up your Windows app with your account, that data should sync down to your PC after migrating on your Mac, no exporting or mucking about with files required.

It's been a spell since I've so much as looked at 1Password 6 for Mac, but I believe the migration process there still roughly mirrors this guide:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/?mac

One difference is that I do not believe that 1Password 6 for Mac will remove your standalone vault for you, so you'll need to do that manually. I believe you can choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault. 1Password 7 for Mac has these options in the vault menu, but my memory tells me 1Password 6 doesn't have that menu and it's all in the 1Password menu. If I'm totally off-base, though, let me know and I'll grab someone who uses Macs more often to correct me. :+1:

• remltr
    remltr
    Community Member

bundtkate,

I was not aware that my account would cover multiple devices. Did as you suggested. Worked perfectly. Just have a couple more devices to update and I should be golden. I did not delete my stand alone vault as I want it for a backup should anything every happen to the 1Password account.

Thank you so very much.
    Dave

• If you delete it in the app, @remltr, it will remove that data from 1Password, but not iCloud. This means that you can still restore it by reopening it whenever you'd like, but it won't be showing you dupes or causing confusion in the apps themselves. I really would recommend doing this, particularly given you've only got it open on Mac. One thing I see a lot of is folks updating the Login in a backup standalone vault rather than their account, then realizing that this happened later on when they need that item on another device and can't reasonably access it. It'll serve as a backup in the app or not and removing it avoids these sorts of pitfalls. Plus, you also have a local database for your account on each and ever device that's fully accessible offline, in addition to your remote encrypted database on our servers so you've got a very robust backup system even without it.

And, yes! Your account covers as many devices as you own. No limit at all. It also includes 1Password 7 for Mac so once you've got data sorted out, don't forget to snag your upgrade. :wink:

• remltr
    remltr
    Community Member

Everything is working well now, except for the Mac version has one issue. Version 6 would have the login info ready to go for any website I visited at the top of the list. It would actually pop up when I selected the 1Password icon in the browser. Version 7 opens up the list and I have to search down the list to find the website I am positioned on. Is there a setting that I am missing to make 7 act like 6?

• remltr
    remltr
    Community Member

Never mind. I found the setting. Open 1Password to: Suggestions and not Favorites.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @remltr! I am glad to hear you managed to find the setting :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.