1Password shows no saved items in iPhone

Mutang
Mutang
Community Member

After installing 1Password 7.7 on MacBook OS 10.15.6 last week I've setup about 100 or so Login items and some Password items. I also downloaded the 1Password app for my iPhone and it has been working well. But now the iPhone installation shows none of the 100 items while the MacBook installation continues to operate perfectly well.

The problem may have been created because I tried to upgrade the OneDrive app on iPhone from the App Store. Usually it accepts my TouchID confirmation. But this time it wanted a password, which I tried in vain to get accepted. Finally, I realized that the original version of OneDrive was downloaded several years ago through a different AppleID than I'm now using. I had forgotten about that. Finally, I looked up the old record and found the correct password for the former AppleID, then the download came through.

During that process, when I went back to the MacBook and tried to access AppleID, it would not accept the password I'd been using for the new AppleID, which is the operative one on the iPhone. So I had to change the new AppleID's password to something very simple that I could remember. As I remember, I also installed that new, simple password on the iPhone. So everything else is working on the iPhone, but 1Password is closed to me. I can still open it with TouchID, but it shows only the Settings screen. When I try to access Personal or Primary, it still shows the settings screen.

Can this now locked 1Password on iPhone be reopened for me to use? Or must I somehow remove it and reinstall a new copy? Then I'll want to use it to change the AppleID's password.

I hope this doesn't seem as arduously complicated to the experts as it does to me. Thanks for help.

Mutang

1Password Version: 7.6.2 (70602000) on iPhone
Extension Version: none on iPhone
OS Version: iOS 13.6
Sync Type: iCloud ?

Comments

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

I installed 1Password in late 2017 but didn’t really learn how to use it and failed to renew it a year later. But I Ieft the software on my computer and paid for an upgrade to ver 7.7 on 8/1/2020. I’ve been very busy since then setting up about 100 items in it. 1Password on my Mac OS X 10.15.6 is working well, I think. And I make heavy use of the “extension” (? If that’s what it’s called) on the Menu bar at the top edge of my Mac.

I also installed the iPhone app and found that helpful as well. But now the iPhone app seems to be locked. I can still use TouchID to get into it, but it goes directly to the Settings window. If I press on “Personal” or “Primary” options, it still shows only the Settings window.

This may have been the outcome of a problem I had trying to upgrade OneDrive tot the iPhone. The upgrade process did not require TouchID which new downloads to, but required a password. So I opened 1Password on iPhone, touched the password for the current AppleID and tried to paste it into the App Store’s box to upgrade OneDrive. But it repeatedly failed, even though I confirmed that it was accepted in other situations. And to download a new app from App Store the TouchID still worked. At that point, I thought that 1Password had somehow garbled the password, so I changed the current Apple ID password to something very simple. When that still failed to get the upgrade, I finally realized that years ago I had a different Apple ID. I dug into my written records and found the password for that. I selected that old AppleID in the iPhone Settings, used the old password and it succeeded for the upgrade of OneDrive.

But then 1Password on iPhone became locked, as described above. So I changed the iPhone’s effective Apple ID back to the current one, but it requires the new password, so I suppose 1Password is excluding me because of the changed password for the recent AppleID. I also find that the Touch ID no longer works on at least two iPhone apps and requires manual insertion of the password.

Does this make sense to you? If so, is there anything quick and easy that I can do to get 1Password functioning again on the iPhone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

P.S. to the above: Now 1Password opens by using Touch ID, but it entirely fails even to acknowledge that I have a paid installation. It shows a menu with the words "Try 1Password FREE" at the top and below it offers the two standard plans Families for $4.99/ mo and individual for $2.99/mo. That's how far the degradation has gone now. Don't know if that's because the MacBook just ran a Supplementary Upgrade to the already installed 10.15.6.
    I'm using 1Password ver 7.7, Extension on MacBook ver 4.7.5.90, Mac OSX 10.15.6, and sync is apparently iCloud (?), which I have activated.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

P.P.S. to the above. I used the Master Password to enter iPhone 1Password and found the intstalled Settings page which gives access to the vaults, personal with 107 items, and primary with 20 items. But I can not bring up the items to configure them. The Sync Type IS iCloud.

• Hi @Mutang

It sounds like trying to sync with iCloud may be the problem here. From your description it sounds like you have a 1Password membership, which is intended to handle the syncing of your data for you, rather than iCloud. Could you please check two things for me:

1. Are you able to sign in at https://my.1password.com ?
    2. If so, if you open the Personal vault, do you see all of your data there?

Please let me know.

Ben

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

Thanks for replying. I had not thought of a problematic sync with iCloud as the problem. I have now moved all 17 of the items formerly in the Primary vault into the Personal vault, which now shows all the expected data. I look forward to your thoughts about what I should do next.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

To answer your post more explicitly: #1: yes I can sign in to https://my.1password.com. #2. Yes, everything is there that is in the Personal vault on my MacBook installation of 1Password. Even the iPhone app shows all of the expected items, but it doesn't let me open the vault to see them or use them.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

If I simply remove the 1Password app from iPhone, then change the AppleID password to a more secure one than what is in effect now, then reinstall the 1Password app on iPhone, would that be likely to get the mobile app's functionality restored?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Mutang:

Thank you for the additional information.

Even the iPhone app shows all of the expected items, but it doesn't let me open the vault to see them or use them.

Can you please clarify this part? If you see all your items, it means that you were able to open the vault already. If you could elaborate on what you are seeing exactly, and what you expect to happen at that point?

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

Sorry. I mean that when the iPhone app opens it shows the Settings screen. When I touch Personal, a new screen appears and tells me that 121 items are saved in the Personal vault. But I am not allowed to access them.

By the way, since the posted the questions above, I have used the MacBook 1Password application to create several more vaults and these new vaults now also show in the iPhone app's Settings screen. Each new vault shows a specific number of items contained here, but I cannot access them. So it's functioning, but it's locked to me for some reason.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

Something new has happened. I am now able to access the individual login items in 1Password app on iPhone. I suspect that a few minutes ago I may have inadvertently done something, when tweaking the iCloud settings for another reason, that opened my access to the mobile app's contents. I am sometimes truly baffled by the complexity of what I'm involved in here. In short: I think the problem may be solved. I think Ben's hypothesis, that it was a syncing problem with iCloud, is probably the right analysis.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Mutang:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that things are working as expected now :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

Or, could there be a very much simpler answer, indicating an unexpected depth of my stupidity? That is, did the Settings screen show as default simply because that was the one, among the four icons at the foot of the screen, which I touched on my last use of the app? I see now that if I touch the other icons, full access is available. Was that always available, if only I had touched the other icons? Did I panic and assume the worst without exploring all options? Can't exclude that possibility, given my ignorance and the limits of my patience. I do have other work to do, beyond trying to learn the fascinatingly addictive elegance of this software. And yet, I'm not entirely sure that's correct, because I did have some problems opening the app; for a while I couldn't use TouchID. But after some slightly non-simple tweaking, TouchID is now restored. Apologies for the overload of Proustian prose here. I love the program and am now a devoted user with expectation of more good things to come, but maybe not without some more climbing the wall of learning.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Mutang:

That is, did the Settings screen show as default simply because that was the one, among the four icons at the foot of the screen, which I touched on my last use of the app?

This is indeed the case: 1Password will open to the last view you selected. So if you closed the app when you were looking at the Settings, the next time you unlock 1Password, you will see the Settings view again.

Was that always available, if only I had touched the other icons?

Yes, that is correct :+1:

I love the program and am now a devoted user with expectation of more good things to come, but maybe not without some more climbing the wall of learning.

Thank you! That's great to hear :) And we are here should you need any help or have any questions about any 1Password feature.

This discussion has been closed.