First glimpse into a really promising application

lumarellumarel
edited August 6 in Linux Beta

Hey all,

I have been waiting so long for this GUI version of 1Password for Linux!
I can't even describe how much I want to thank you!

The mentioned feature set, which is already implemented works mostly really graceful.
I would even say that there are design elements, which I would like to see in the Windows version as well, especially the "in-list"-categories dropdown. Looks really clean!

I also noticed some edges:

• if you resize the items list and then try to use another sorting method the list width resets (sorting does not work, but was already mentioned)
  • I have three vaults in my personal account, but two of them are marked as shared vaults:

• I noticed as well that the custom font you made for better readability of the passwords isn't used up to now

• the Watchtower views are hidden behind the "show items" button, but after that it isn't mentioned anywhere that this is this special view
  • there are a few buttons which aren't working up to now (but was also already mentioned)
  • the "view tag" button brings you to a blank page (with the only option to get back, to close the application)
  • you can get the cursor to blink in the "add tag" button by clicking on it
  • the keyboard shortcuts are hard linked to a en-us keyboard mapping, even if it is possible to write in the correct keyboard layout in the search field

By the way I really like to have the option to set the settings via the json file, maybe you could make this to a feature in the end :chuffed:

I think this is enough for now.

Cheers!
~lumarel

1Password Version: 0.8.0-22506
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: fedora release 32
Desktop Environment: GNOME 3.36.4
Window System: Wayland
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• danvpetersondanvpeterson AWS Team

Team Member

Hey @lumarel, thanks for the kind words! Greatly appreciated and I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the development preview so far. As far as some of the design elements coming to other platforms like Windows, I would say that’s a possibility 🙂

There are definitely some rough edges still, and I appreciate your feedback on the ones you’ve come across. Most of your these look like bugs or things that we already have plans to address, and I’ll be sure to pass all of them along to our devs. Regarding the font for passwords; I’m looking for us to explore a couple options there including potentially using the Courier Prime variant that we had customized for 1Password previously. There are also some options that we are going to play with with the current font so hopefully you’ll see some changes there in the upcoming versions.

Thanks again!

Dan V Peterson
    Staff Designer, 1Password

• ag_Gabrieleag_Gabriele

Team Member

Thank you very much for your thoughtful feedback @lumarel! There are definitely still a few rough edges to smooth out.

I'm particularly curious about one of the items you mentioned:

the keyboard shortcuts are hard linked to a en-us keyboard mapping, even if it is possible to write in the correct keyboard layout in the search field

I would like to learn more about this, if you're willing to share. Which keyboard layout do you use? Which shortcuts in particular didn't work as expected? Are you used to different shortcuts with your current setup?

Thank you!

Gabriele Cirulli
    Designer & Developer, 1Password

• lumarellumarel
    edited August 7

Thank you for you fast replies @danvpeterson and @ag_Gabriele :chuffed:

There are definitely some rough edges still, and I appreciate your feedback on the ones you’ve come across. Most of your these look like bugs or things that we already have plans to address, and I’ll be sure to pass all of them along to our devs. Regarding the font for passwords; I’m looking for us to explore a couple options there including potentially using the Courier Prime variant that we had customized for 1Password previously. There are also some options that we are going to play with with the current font so hopefully you’ll see some changes there in the upcoming

That's really great to hear if my bits are already known and chalanged ^^
    And about the font, is it not possible to port it, for the linux compatility, and then include in the frontend sources?
    Or is it just that there are already better fonts in the default set of the most linux distributions? :)

I would like to learn more about this, if you're willing to share. Which keyboard layout do you use? Which shortcuts in particular didn't work as expected? Are you used to different shortcuts with your current setup?

The device on which I'm using fedora is a Lenovo Thinkpad, so more or less their standard layout, but for the region it is a german T1 keyboard (as mentioned here).
    For more, here a screenshot of the settings keymap view:

I noticed it by reading the shortcuts list and trying the first shortcut: Ctrl + "/", on my keyboard this would be Ctrl + Shift + "7", but actually this combination is on the german keyboard Ctrl/Strg + # (whyever the "\" key on the english keyboard)
    So... yes, I have to revise my previous thaught, because Ctrl + "-" (on the english keyboard "/") is the correct shortcut. (it's only the "show keyboardshortcuts" shortcut tested all other and they work correctly)
    But neitherless, yes I'm using costum keyboard shortcuts for 1Password on Windows (I really don't mind if they need to be different, it isn't even the same interface so why not, but customizability of shortcuts is always a good one :chuffed:)

One more time thank you for your great support and so open mind for bug reports and feature requests! :chuffed:

• danvpetersondanvpeterson AWS Team

Team Member
    edited August 7

And about the font, is it not possible to port it, for the linux compatility, and then include in the frontend sources?

Not sure if you're much a typeface nerd but I'll get a little nerdy here to help explain my thoughts. We are currently using Inter, an open source font with a lot of powerful features in it across the entire UI. Inter is not a monospace font but it does have disambiguation features (slashed zero, alternate distinct characters for the number one and lowercase L, and more) along with some other important features for both password fields and the rest of the interface. We're hoping to use the same font everywhere, with those special features used in password fields and some other treatments to help make sure they are readable and easy to parse. The problem with bringing in the old password font (Courier Prime Bits) is that it has very different characteristics like a different x-height (the height of common lowercase characters), cap height (height of flat topped capital letters), default line height, ascender and descender characteristics, etc. so when the two fonts mix and match they can feel awkward.

We may still end up bringing over Courier Prime Bits, but I'm hoping to first experiment a bit more with the features of Inter to see if we can make it work well for all of those reasons. Thanks!

Dan V Peterson
    Staff Designer, 1Password

• ag_Gabrieleag_Gabriele

Team Member

@lumarel Thanks for the extra details! We'll be doing some more work on making keyboard shortcuts as consistent as we can across platforms and aware of the locale, as well as allowing customization like we do on Windows at some point in the future. Until then, any feedback on the existing shortcuts is appreciated!

Gabriele Cirulli
    Designer & Developer, 1Password

• I have a quite big library of fonts, to just have the right ones @danvpeterson, but much further doesn't reach my obsession to fonts :lol:
    I have to admit I really like the styling of Courier Prime Bits:

There is also this new font from a Microsoft team called Cascadia Code. (they anounced this with the new Windows Terminal)
    Especially the version with ligatures looks so great :chuffed:

But okay I understand what you are saying, this are some really misleading "features" of Courier Prime Bits :unamused: Maybe there is a good hybrid solution which brings the great design of the old font to a new better manageable one :)

Thanks for the extra details! We'll be doing some more work on making keyboard shortcuts as consistent as we can across platforms and aware of the locale, as well as allowing customization like we do on Windows at some point in the future. Until then, any feedback on the existing shortcuts is appreciated!

Thank you very much @ag_Gabriele :chuffed:

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

On behalf of Gab, you're welcome.

As for the font, I like Cascadia Code but I'm a huge fan of Fira Code instead.

• @MikeT Well, I used Fira Code for a while and then switched to Hack. Even nicer ;-)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Oooh. That does look nice. :)

Ben

• Both look really cool, will have to try them out :chuffed:

Thank you @MikeT and @basurerito!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

:+1::)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji