2FA Should Copy to Clipboard Automatically

amswitzer
amswitzer
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello:

1Password should consider an enhancement that would allow users to set an option in the Settings" panel so that the 2FA code for a website currently being visited is automatically copied to the Windows clipboard. That option would mean that to fill in a 2FA code, the user simply has to paste the code. This behaviour is already used in Bitwarden and it's extremely convenient - especially in cases where 1Password extensions don't recognize the URL for a site's 2FA form.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2fa clipboard

Comments

• That is already an option in 1Password for Windows, @amswitzer. If you pop open 1Password 7 for Windows, then choose 1Password > Settings and click Browsers, you should see a toggle for "Copy One-Time-Password to clipboard after filling". Turn that on and a quick paste after filling should let you fill your OTP code. :+1:

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

I was speaking of the web extension. Specifically 1PasswordX.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@amswitzer:

Thank you for the confirmation! The behavior you are requesting, and the one bundtkate suggested, is already included in the companion browser extension.

1Password X automatically fills the 2FA codes in the form, so they don't even need to be copied to the clipboard. If you found websites where this is not happening automatically, please let us know which ones they are and we will be happy to test them :+1:

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Thanks for your response. The 2FA code is not captured or auto-filled whenever I use my corporation's Office 365 email. This works fine on my personal Outlook.com account, but on my corporate email web access, it simply doesn't work and I have to open 1PW and select "Autofill" for this to work.

But...rather than having 1PW fix every possible situation where it's not working, why not just make it easier and give users the access to have the 2FA copied to the clipboard automatically at the same time as it is being filled-out? There would be no impact on sites where it does work, but it would mean the user simply has to do a quick paste whenever one encounters a site where it doesn't work for some reason.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

...and it just failed to work on the Twitter website.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @amswitzer ,

Thanks for the additional info and feedback here.
    We've had that feature request in the past, but it is easier said than done. Getting things in and out of the clipboard via a browser extension is not something we'd like to do, due to the difficulty and intrusiveness of the action.

Our older companion extension, which connects to the 1Password desktop app, does copy the 2FA field to the clipboard via the desktop app since the desktop app integrates to the operating system better, so it allows for such action there in a safe manner (including clearing your clipboard after!).

In the meantime, I hope you can provide us with some details on the websites where the 2FA is not being autofilled so we can improve 1Password X based on that information:

1. Right click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Manage Extensions".
    2. Turn on the "Developer Mode" toggle on the top right side of the page.
    3. In the center of the page where you see the extension's details, click the "Background Page" link.
    4. A new window will open. Select the "Console" tab at its top, then click the bottom part of the console so you can write in it.
    5. Type in the following and hit Enter afterwards: localStorage.setItem(“devtools”, “Y”)
    6. Close Chrome completely, then relaunch it and unlock 1Password X. Now, when you right click the 1Password X icon on the top right corner, you should see a new menu option called "Developer Tools" and use it to collect page details.
    7. Get to the page(s) where 1Password X does not autofill the 2FA code and collect the page details. Save it in a json or txt file and send it over to support+extensions@1password.com alongside a link to this forum discussion so we can connect the dots faster.
  • amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

@ag_yaron

It didn't work. When I paste the item into the console section, it seems to generate an error message.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

@amswitzer:

Can you try deleting and typing the quote characters manually there? It looks like you copy pasted the command.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Thanks - that worked. I'll send the details in to that email address immediately.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Sounds good @amswitzer, thank you :+1: :)

ref: JXR-86314-541

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Our older companion extension, which connects to the 1Password desktop app, does copy the 2FA field to the clipboard via the desktop app since the desktop app integrates to the operating system better, so it allows for such action there in a safe manner (including clearing your clipboard after!).

I was using the classic extension (formerly known as companion extension) together with the 1PW7 desktop app for a long time and loved the feature that the 2FA code was copied into the clipboard automatically when I was logging into websites. I understand that this was only possible with the help of the desktop app.

Now that the desktop app is working together with the new 1Password in the browser extension, it would be great if the 2FA code is copied into the clipboard again.

Maybe you can implement such a setting back into 1PW8 and make this possible again?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021

We're considering it :)
    From a security point of view, we'd rather not use the clipboard for anything, and since 1Password in the browser usually autofills the TOTP automatically in most cases, it would be kind of redundant to copy the TOTP to the clipboard, but we know some edge cases might require it so we'll continue investigating this feature.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#645

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

it would be kind of redundant to copy the TOTP to the clipboard

But it could be disabled by default in the desktop app. So everyone who wants to copy TOTP into the clipboard has to enable it. ;)

but we know some edge cases might require it so we'll continue investigating this feature

Yes. I'm using such a case... Great, that you'll think about it. :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I know you're not alone, that's why we're already discussing it :)

This discussion has been closed.