My 1PW info appeared on a site

Options
gmj
gmj
Community Member

My 1PW info appeared on a WordPress site that I use frequently in a pop up window. I was not logged into 1PW.
It often remembers me (with no login needed), but periodically has me sign in again with name and pw.
It has never showed me my login info in an extra window before. But today it did. It had one of my user names and scarily my 1PW master pw as my login. I think that once I may have thoughtlessly typed it in by mistake at this site. This whole thing is spooky.
Then the extra pop up window with my info disappeared and I had just the standard unfilled login window appear.

It's a small local site that is legit.
Have I been hacked? Or was it a careless entry by me at one point?
"Watchtower" does not show any Compromised websites.

Is there something I should do about this?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1PW Account
Referrer: forum-search:My login info appeared in a popup window on a login site

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gmj

Do you have any other password managers enabled? Perhaps the one built into your web browser?

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password

Also if you go back to said site are you able to replicate the situation? Please let us know.

Ben

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

I turned off password managers for Chrome and Firefox a long time ago. I mostly use Firefox.
    On my Macbook Pro this is what it says with Firefox: (and there are no pw's listed)

No logins found
    When you save a password in Firefox, it will show up here.

On my Android phone in Firefox: there are no logins shown on the "Manage logins" page where they would be.

I checked Chrome and there are no saved pw's there.
    I tried logging into this site from Chrome a few times and it does NOT put a popup window with suggested pw's in it.

I logged out of this site on Firefox, went back in and the extra popup window appeared again with my same information.
    When I click twice in the "User Name or Email Address" box is when the suggested login information appears.
    My info does not pop up when I click in the PW box.

It is doing this every time that I double click in the "User name/email address" box.

Sounds like it's a problem on Firefox only.

It's also an Android Firefox problem!
    It is doing the same thing on my Android phone, when I try to login to this site with Firefox.
    It shows the same pw and user name as that which comes up on my Macbook.

Also, the "Autofill with 1PW" window comes up, where I would need to enter my pw for 1PW.
    This problem does NOT happen when I try to access this site on my phone through Chrome.

When I try to login on my phone through the Google browser, it enters my name in the user name field, but not my pw.
    This is not the same user name that gets suggested with Firefox.

• Ben
    Options

@gmj

What extensions do you have installed in Firefox? Would it be possible to post a screenshot of the "popup window" in question without revealing your credentials? If you'd prefer, you can email us the screenshot, though I'd still only encourage you to do so if you can without revealing any sensitive info. To do that, please email support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115224/my-1pw-info-appeared-on-a-site#latest). When you email in you should get an auto-responder from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Ben

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox extensions on my Mac:

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

This is the popup window before I click in it and before the small window shows up below with my pw info etc.
    I think it's actually now showing a different user name then it did before, although still with the same pw info.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020
    Options

Sorry @gmj I meant a screenshot of this window:

the small window shows up below with my pw info

But I think we should move this conversation over to email... Along with a screenshot of what you described above I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115224/my-1pw-info-appeared-on-a-site#latest
    • Your forum username: gmj
    • The screenshot

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

[#SNU-96196-336]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gmj:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: SNU-96196-336

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana @Ben

I solved it!
    From my emails I just sent to support:

The problem is my pw shows up as a possible Username choice in Firefox on that site.
    I think I once entered it there by error and this is why it shows up.

I don't know if there is anywhere that I can remove it?
    I know there was a way where I could get my email to stop regularly putting in someone's old email address.
    This seems similar.

I think the issue is:
    How do I get rid of "Auto-Complete Suggestions"?

I don't know if the autofill is coming from my web browser (Firefox) or from the website I'm accessing.Is there a way to figure out where this autofill is coming from?

SOLVED: (from a Firefox/Mozilla help page)
    Deleting individual form entries.
    If you want to remove one of your previous form entries from Firefox's history: Click on the form field and press the ↓ key to display all the saved entries. You may type the first few letters of the entry to limit the number of entries displayed. Use the ↓ key or the mouse pointer to highlight the entry you wish to delete. Press Shift+Delete. The entry will be removed.Repeat the process for each entry that you'd like to delete.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/control-whether-firefox-automatically-fills-forms

This totally worked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @gmj! I am glad that you managed to find the solution for this within the Firefox settings :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    What's in the Diagnostic zip files that we send?
    Are there security issues with these?
    Will they get deleted on the 1PW side?
    Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gmj:

What's in the Diagnostic zip files that we send?
    Are there security issues with these?

We include as little information as possible in the reports, and only information that can help us troubleshoot, but you can open the zip file with the report and see all of its contents yourself ;)

This discussion has been closed.