...Difficulty Changing Costco PW

ethan417
ethan417
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi
I'm new to 1PW and still trying to get comfortable.
I've read the help and watched the videos.

I am having difficulty changing my Costco PW.
After importing my PWs from Chrome, I switched to FireFox and "Hardened" it according to PrivacyTools.io.

I was able to sign-in to the Costco WS using 1Password and the original login credentials.
I changed the PW (following the 1PW instructions) - it was successful - according to the screen message.
However, when the 1PW popup window asked me to save the new PW - it did not respond to my selection of the Update button.
It does not seem as if the new PW was saved.
When I try to log on with 1PW - it fails.

I am unable to log into Costco.
I tried to use the new PW which was copied to my clipboard when I used 1PW to generate a new PW - no success.

To access my Costco account, I have to request a PW reset to access from Costco.

I'm sure that this is a pretty standard issue for newbees and I'm making a familiar mistake.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ethan417 ,
    Welcome to 1Password :)

You didn't mention which version of the 1Password extension is installed in your Firefox, so I'm going to assume you have 1Password X installed. If that is incorrect, please correct me and write which version of the 1Password extension is installed.

If you are using 1Password X
    In case you change a website's password but things go wrong and you didn't manage to update your 1Password login entry with the new one, there's a failsafe built in to make sure you don't lose the new password. You can find the password as follows:
    1. Click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser to open it.
    2. Click the big PLUS icon to reveal the menu.
    3. Select the first option in the list "Password Generator".
    4. You'll reach the password generator where you can generate your own passwords. At the bottom of it, there's a "Generator History" button, which will reveal all the new passwords you generated. This is where you can recover any password you generated but didn't save properly. Copy the password from there and make sure it works by logging into your Costco account.
    5. If it works, locate your Costco login in 1Password, click on "Edit" to be able to edit its details and replace the existing password with that new password you recovered.

I hope that helps :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Nice to know. Bookmarked. Thanks, @ag_yaron!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
    I followed your instructions - But
    I get the mini window when I click on the extension in the browser.
    The PW generator is the min - and does not have the history button on the bottom.

FYI - I am using 3 browsers - FireFox (hardened), Brave, and Google (out of the box).
    When I wrote to you, I didn't mention that I tried to change the PW using each of the 3 browsers.
    Each had the very same issue.
    Not only have I been struggling with Costco, I am also have the same issues with Bank of America (BOA) on all 3 sites.

Although I am grateful that 1PW has a fallback - I'm not sure why I am having the same issues on more than 1 site?

Thanks again for your help.

-E

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

The PW generator is the min - and does not have the history button on the bottom.

Can you please share a screenshot of what you are seeing there?

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

Hi
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Here you go

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

Unfortunately I cannot see the screenshot :( Did you upload it here to the forum or to a different cloud?

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

[Screenshot redacted due to privacy concerns]

Hi
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Here you go

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

can you see it now?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

Yes, thank you :+1: I see that you are not running the 1Password X browser extension, so you won't see the password generator button in the place that ag_yaron described. In your case, since you are using the companion browser extension, can you open the Passwords category (either in the extension or in the 1Password for Windows desktop app), and check if the generated Costco password has been saved there?

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

What Browser should I be using for Brave and Firefox?

More importantly, why am I having the issue with changing my PW on Costco and Bank of America?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

What Browser should I be using for Brave and Firefox?

Sorry, I am not sure I understand this question: Brave and Firefox are already browsers. Do you mind clarifying what you mean?

More importantly, why am I having the issue with changing my PW on Costco and Bank of America?

It might be something with those specific website, or something wrong in your procedure. What steps are you following to do this, and where exactly do they go wrong?

If you could share with us step by step instructions to replicate what you are doing, we will be happy to test those steps here too :+1:

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

The PWs are not working.
    I am a really good technology user and this is so frustrating.
    This must be a simple fix.
    Until this is resolved, I can't access these accounts.
    What do you suggest that I do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

What do you suggest that I do?

Have you tried checking the Passwords category for generated passwords, as I suggested a couple of posts ago?

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

okay - here are the steps.
    I installed the 1Password X extension and deleted the other.

I requested a new PW from Costco.
    They sent me a change PW link.
    I navigate to the change PW page.
    So now I need a new PW.
    I open the 1PW X extension.
    Where do a get a new PW?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

If you are now using 1Password X, you can use the Password Generator inside the extension. Here is a short video that shows you how to do it:

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

I finally found the generate PW
    I selected Autofill
    It populated the PW fields - New PW and Confirm NPW
    Everything looks okay on the screen
    Costco web site does not recognize when I click the submit button.
    here's the screen shot

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

please check my last email.

• I suspect Costco is expressly blocking filling from working properly here, @ethan417. I'm technically working with a different form because I knew my password (well, 1Password did) and was using the change form in my account settings, but I'd hazard Costco uses similar strategies across similar forms. It blocks pasting (so the companion extension won't work) and, in fact, even filling with 1Password X wasn't working for me on the form I was using. Drag and drop from my Windows desktop app did work so that's one option. You could also try typing a single character in each of those fields and deleting it and see if Costco then recognizes the fields are filled. Sometimes sites make sure the fields were "touched" in some way (that is, that you typed into them) before they will recognize they're filled. Drag and drop actually simulates typing so it needing to type something would explain drag and drop working when filling doesn't. Hopefully one of these options helps.

Also, a quick tip based on my experience – make sure your generated password is no more than 20 characters. When I got drag and drop to work, I generated a longer password, didn't notice that it was too long (because Costco accepted it) and ended up locked out after trying what I knew was the right password too many times. I suspect the extra characters were just truncated and I'll be fine after the timeout, but better to avoid it entirely so figured it was worth the heads up. :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

The voice of sadder but wiser experience. Thanks @bundtkate. Those failed login lockouts can be brutal if their removal requires phoning into today's short-staffed call centers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

If the first and second autofilling attempt doesn't work, stop there and try to figure out what went wrong. Nothing will change in the third try so make sure you prevent yourself from getting locked out :)

This discussion has been closed.