Search notes field

Options
dangit
dangit
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm having no luck getting 1Password to find text that is located within the Notes field.

If I have a keyword Healthcare in Notes, I'm hoping that when I search for Healthcare it would find that item.

Is there an option to do this?

Using the beta 1.20.0 in Chrome.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dangit!

Just to make sure we test this in the right place: you posted in the 1Password for Windows forum section, but then you mentioned that you are using 1Password X. Can you confirm where you are trying to do this? Is it in the desktop app or in the browser extension?

Using the beta 1.20.0 in Chrome.

1.20.0 is the stable version of 1Password X. Did you by chance mean 1.21.2.beta instead? That would be the latest beta of the extension.

• dangit
    dangit
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

You're right. I loaded the beta on a different computer. I'm using 1.20.0.
    The issue I'm having is from the browser extension. I see now that I should have this in the 1password X forum.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation @dangit! I have also moved your discussion to the 1Password X section of the forum for you :+1:

This is currently the normal behavior for 1Password X. My colleague kaitlyn wrote about this recently here, in case you are interested in the details.

• dangit
    dangit
    Community Member
    Options

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/497470#Comment_497470

I'm seeing that this was an option in 2018 and 2019 on certain systems. Is it no longer an option? Is it being worked on for 1Password X?

It's quite frustrating to have to keep logging back into Lastpass to find something I'm looking for.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dangit ,

Our extensions only search for major fields of items (e.g. the item's title, URL, username, password, tags). It does not search for content such as a specific word or line from a secure note because that would require us to decrypt your entire database every time you open the 1Password popup in your browser, which is mostly unnecessary, unsafe and will affect the extension's performance as it might make it slower and non-responsive on some systems.

If you search for a secure note's title, the extension should find it properly, but if you search for a specific line of text from the contents of the note, it will not find it.
    However, our desktop apps can and will find your notes even if you search for words from within their content, so if you don't have our desktop app yet, feel free to install it now and see how it works: https://1password.com/downloads/

If you're still keen on not having to open any other app, I'd suggest the following:

• Name your items and notes in a unique manner, so that you can search for keywords from within the title and find what you need quickly.
    • Add unique tags to your items and then search for these tags to find what you need in the extension: https://support.1password.com/favorites-tags/

I hope you'll find these suggestions helpful :)

• dangit
    dangit
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron That's a bit confusing - if the username and password fields (the items MOST in need of remaining encrypted) are decrypted for the search, I don't follow that decrypting the note field would make things exponentially worse. I'm not a developer, so there could certainly be more to it beyond what I understood from your explanation, but there are password managers that are able to remain stable, secure, and fast while meeting the needs of customers who would find this function useful.

I will install the desktop app to see if it meets my needs.

Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dangit ,
    Thanks for the followup.

I'd like to correct myself here, the password field is not one of the searchable fields, only the Title, URL and username of an item can be searched. Sorry about that.

As for decrypting items in the extension - when you decrypt them they are being stored in your computer's RAM, which is a security hazard as is in case your computer is compromised, so while other apps might offer that feature, we tend to be a bit more strict on when, where and if we should at all, perform such tasks when they're not needed most of the times. Decrypting your entire vault is not something most users need, as most of them only need login items in their browsers, they don't need passports, software licenses and other types of items we offer in 1Password, so why decrypt them? And yes, notes are one of these items that most users won't need in their browsers, but are very, VERY useful to have in the desktop app!

In any case, I hope you find the desktop app useful, and that you kept in mind my other suggestions to search the note's title or tag (if you've added a unique one) which will still allow you to find and use your notes in the browser extension.

Let me know if you have further questions or feedback on this, it is highly appreciated so thank you for bringing it up!

• David1PSince2015
    David1PSince2015
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron
    I still can't find text stored in notes field on macOS app version 7.6 (App store version), please help
    Here i stored 1Ptest word in notes:

And here i'm trying to find that text:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @David1PSince2015 ,
    Thanks for the followup.

The screenshots you show here are from 1Password mini, which has almost the same limitations as the browser extension.
    Please open the actual full 1Password app from your Applications folder and use the search bar in the app, it will find words from the notes section there :)

• David1PSince2015
    David1PSince2015
    Community Member
    Options

Still nothing v 7.6

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Click that "Expand search to All Fields" button, that should be the default there.
    Let me know if that action allowed your item to be found.

• David1PSince2015
    David1PSince2015
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Still nothing

Even this way doesn't

t work

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @David1PSince2015 ,

Not sure exactly what are the steps you're taking there, so I made you a video showing me adding words to a note section in one of my items, then finding it when using the search bar: http://recordit.co/NwjPusoKS4

Let me know if you were able to replicate my steps.

• David1PSince2015
    David1PSince2015
    Community Member
    Options

Mhh, restarted 1P and i'm able to find now. Thank you for you time and help. Love you app, once again. Issue resolved

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah! The old restart trick that we skipped here for some reason @David1PSince2015 ;)

I'm glad to hear things are working properly now. Enjoy your 1Password and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.