2FA is out of control

aeu2357
aeu2357
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Every time I restart my PC and then open 1Password, it asks for 2FA. I believe this started happening after I switched default browsers from Chrome to Edge, but that might be coincidence. Either way, it's annoying and I'm wondering how I can fix it.

1Password Version: 7.67780
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home Premium, build 19041.388
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aeu2357!

Have you configured your browser to delete cache and cookies every time you quit it? From what you are seeing, this sounds like it.

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

I have not. The settings are mostly default. I checked to make sure about the cache/cookies--they are not being deleted. FWIW this is not happen with other websites/apps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aeu2357:

Thank you for the confirmation. Is the 2FA prompt coming from the 1Password website, or directly from the 1Password desktop app?

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

It's coming from the desktop app

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aeu2357:

Got it. So the browsers have nothing to do with this, since it's coming from the desktop app :+1: The way 2FA with 1Password works is that you should be prompted for your 2FA code only the first time you add an account to the device, unless you dismiss the prompt every time, in which case 1Password will continue asking you for the 2FA code until you enter it.

Have you perhaps been dismissing the 2FA prompt, or are you entering the 2FA every time 1Password asks you for it?

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

I've been entering it every time it asks. Perhaps I should log out of the account and log back in fresh? Would that reset cache, etc?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aeu2357:

This might help. However, we could also take a look at the logs and see if they show anything useful first. The next time that this happens, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your PC and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aeu2357:

I spoke with a developer about this, and in the meantime I would like to ask you to check something in Windows: if you go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager, and expand the section Generic Credentials, do you see a 1Password entry there that starts with "1Password:" there?

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

Oh, thanks for doing that. I did as you said and there are several apps' generic credentials listed there, but 1Password is not one of them.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aeu2357:

Thank you for the confirmation! That would explain the behavior you are seeing: there seems to be something on your system that clears that section of Credentials Manager. If there is not an entry for 1Password there, 1Password will keep prompting you to enter your 2FA code every time.

Is this perhaps a company computer? In certain cases, company computers might be configured this way.

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

Nope, this is my personal PC. How can I permanently add a set of credentials there for 1Password?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aeu2357,

Do you see 1Password in Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager > Generic Credentials after you enter your 2FA code?

It sounds like your system resets the generic credentials storage every time you restart your computer and we need to understand why it happens.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

Yes, you're correct. An entry is added there after I submit the 2FA. It does seem like the system is resetting the credentials every reboot.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

@aeu2357: I am afraid if your system resets the generic credentials storage, this issue has nothing to do with 1Password.

Do you have any ideas of what might the culprit here? Are you running any kind of AV/anti-malware or other security software that might be responsible? Or do you have any policies regarding it?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member

Thanks for all your help! I finally figured it out, after many hours of troubleshooting and a worthless technical support call with Microsoft (they were unable to solve it).

In case anyone else has this issue: the answer, it turns out, is here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/credential-manager-clearing-all-passwords-at/caf62415-0d3b-4390-947b-95413cce18c8

The key post from that thread:

Make sure that following services are set to automatic in services.msc and are in running state -

Credential Manager
    CredentialEnrollmentManagerUserSvc

If they are set to Automatic and running please run following commands (1 by 1) on elevated cmd to repair windows components -

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @aeu2357, and for sharing these instructions! Those will be very useful in case someone else will stumble upon the same thing :+1:

This discussion has been closed.