Nationwide site and mobile app both don't work with autofill

When using both the mobile app (iOS) and website on Win10 desktop, neither log-in when using autofill - they say the creds are wrong.

When I copy/paste the password from 1Password into the login form all works on both mobile app and desktop website.

On mobile I click the eye to see the password in the clear and it looks correct.

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10 (recently updated to latest patches)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @alexwasserman ,

Let's focus on autofilling on your computer here, and if needed we will forward you to the iOS forum for further assistance later on.
    Can you please provide me with a direct link to the login page of the website in question, or at least detailed steps on how to reach that login? I tried searching for nationwide's website but there are multiple local variations for several countries, and when I try to log in there's a bunch of options (insurance login, mutual funds etc... which option do you choose?).

Keep me posted.

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

nationwide.com / login.nationwide.com

Insurance as the product option.

• Hey @alexwasserman. Is this the correct link?

https://www.nationwide.com/personal/login

login.nationwide.com errors out when loaded directly, so it likely needs to be navigated to rather than directly accessed. If that is indeed the URL we should be looking at, please let us know how to get to that specific URL.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alexwasserman:

Thank you for the links!

Both fail to autofill.

I have just tested both URLs, and I was able to get 1Password to fill username and password on both forms without issues. Is this happening with a specific browser?

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

Happens to me on iOS with both safari and brave.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alexwasserman:

Thank you for the confirmation. 1Password filled the form properly in Safari on iOS too. I wonder however if you could clarify what exactly you are seeing. In one of your last posts you wrote:

Both fail to autofill.

But earlier on in the discussion you wrote:

neither log-in when using autofill - they say the creds are wrong.

Which sounds like you actually are able to autofill, and that the problem is when you submit the form instead, so after 1Password filled your credentials.

Can you confirm? Thank you!

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

Sorry, yes, it auto-fills in the details, but the log-in fails with an invalid username/password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirm, @alexwasserman .
    I sounds like the login entry in your 1Password of that website contains a wrong username/password.

Can you please copy your username and password somewhere visible, then get to the login page and try to manually type them in, see if they work and allows you to log in without 1Password's help? If you're still experiencing a wrong username/password error, then you'll need to reset your password on that website.

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

If I copy/paste from 1Password into the page I can login just fine.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I think the password in your 1Password app is longer than what your actual password for the website is, so when you autofill, 1Password injects the entire password into the field and it fails, but when you copy paste the password is being truncated to the maximum possible length the website allows into the field, and that shorter password is your actual password, which is why I'd like you to try and type it manually.

If you notice that at some point no more characters are being typed into the field even though you didn't finish typing the entire password, we'll know that this is it.

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

Interesting - I did some testing of your hypothesis, and you're right. Looks like a 30 char limit.

Except, that it's only their redirect "your password was bad page" that actually is limited. The front page login form allows me to enter many more characters. So, what's happening was that I never would have been ok on their front page, but would always be fine on the subsequent pages.

Front page: https://www.nationwide.com/personal/login

Subsequent pages: https://login.nationwide.com/access/web/login-control.x?pageType=standard-login&loginType=insurance

Interestingly, I'd suspected that at the start, and the mobile app has the ability to put the password field in clear text - what I'd referred to as the eye. When typing into that field it does limit to 30 chars, but when iOS auto-fills the password using 1Password it bypasses that limit. Pasting is correctly truncated, so it's harder to tell what's actually going on.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Well done @alexwasserman .

I'm glad to hear we figured it out. Some websites have a max length on their password field, but 1Password's autofill simply injects the password into the field so it bypasses such limitations easily. That would cause autofilling to fail, while copy-pasting would cause the website to truncate the excess characters and the password would work. Kind of confusing so it's a good thing you were able to test and find the cause.

Now you can edit or change your password accordingly so it would work on all login pages, just make sure to comply with the websites requirements this time when you generate the password and you should be good to go :)

This discussion has been closed.