Disable 1password extension on specific domains

2»

Comments

• mannym122
    mannym122
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

@ag_yaron

So I've been running 1.21.2 BETA and those fields still get the inline 1Password icon. I have to manually Hide on that site, which does not persist across Chrome restarts. I guess the BETA didn't actually resolve this specific issue? Or it did but only for 1 out of the 4 examples I pasted above. I notice that only the 2nd field has the autocomplete=off tag. The other 3 do not. In addition, those specific pages where the fields are found do not have any password fields present. If there is anything else I can do to help (logs, testing), let me know please. Thanks

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mannym122 ,
    Thanks for the update.

There are ways you can help us further with this. You can send us the page's details:

1. Right click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Manage Extensions".
    2. Turn on the "Developer Mode" toggle on the top right side of the page.
    3. In the center of the page where you see the extension's details, click the "Background Page" link.
    4. A new window will open. Select the "Console" tab at its top, then click the bottom part of the console so you can write in it.
    5. Type in the following and hit Enter afterwards: localStorage.setItem("devtools", "Y")
    6. Close Chrome completely, then relaunch it and unlock 1Password X. Now, when you right click the 1Password X icon on the top right corner, you should see a new menu option called "Developer Tools" and use it to collect page details.
    7. Get to each one of these websites where 1Password shows up in a field it shouldn't and collect the page's details, then save it in a .txt file.
    8. Send us these .txt files alongside a screenshot of the page with the field where 1Password X shows up when it shouldn't to support+extension@1password.com

Thank you :)

• mannym122
    mannym122
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

Thanks, I just sent the page details and screenshots to the support email.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @mannym122 !

Hey there @Cadderly , this issue is not related to the discussion at hand here. Care to email us about it to support+extensions@1password.com ? Or you can open a new discussion in the forum here if you'd like. Make sure to include a very descriptive step-by-step on how to reproduce the issue.

• You should take a page out of your competitors' book and allow for this feature: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/disable-lastpass-for-specific-sites-lp040006

Not only does LastPass allow you to do this they offer a very easy way to set this up as a wildcard for an internal domain like *.test/ and avoid the whole problem. Going round and round the issue asking for specifics doesn't help when the feature being asked for is clearly used by other providers.

Being a technical support person and interacting with customers every day I understand that in certain circumstances you need more details, a screenshot, something to help shine a light but when we are talking about internal, customer sensitive, information it is very likely that we won't be able to share those details with you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback @support_bandit.

Since we currently do not have the option to permanently hide 1Password on specific websites/domains (but it is on our to do list, which is quite long), the next best thing we can do is help users with specific websites by improving 1Password's logic and behavior.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us!

• matthewswain
    matthewswain
    Community Member

Another +1 for persistent hide on this domain; I'm not looking to disable 1Password on sites which are broken, I'm looking to disable it on sites where I don't want it to suggest, etc. It's the only thing that annoys me about the product.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @matthewswain :+1:

• clang
    clang
    Community Member

Another +1 here for persistent hiding by domain.

In my particular case I have 1Password installed for personal use but must also have LastPass installed for work. On certain domains that are for work I only want LastPass to show. As it is right now, the icons for both services overlap. Any ETA on this?

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @clang. We don't have an ETA for this yet I am afraid, but our developers are aware of the request :+1:

• Ceevee
    Ceevee
    Community Member

I am a new user (having recently escaped from LastPass due to their terrible support service!) Unfortunately this issue is really annoying me because that is one thing that Lastpass does handle quite well. For instance in our CRM system, SharpSpring, if I look at a customer or prospect contact record, or try to create a new record, 1Password tries to fill in my details on the form. I've attached an example of creating a new record, and 1Password wants to suggest an email address on the form!

Is there a way to turn off this automatic behaviour? Surely if Lastpass can do it, then 1Password can find a way too?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

Hey @Ceevee ,

If you click the "Suggestions" at the bottom of the 1Password menu in that screenshot, then scroll down in the selection you will find the "Hide on this page" feature, which will turn off 1Password on that page until the next time you restart your browser.

In case you only need to open this "Add new contact" window once in a while, then simply clicking the little 1Password icon on the right corner of the field will dismiss the inline menu. Same for pressing ESC on your keyboard.

If you use this system on a daily basis and would like a more permanent solution, we'd need you to send us a sample of that page:

1. Get to that form where 1Password shows up.
    2. Right click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser's toolbar and select "Help" -> "Collect page structure".
    3. Send us the downloaded file to support+x@1password.com and we'll improve things on our side so that 1Password won't show up there anymore.
  • Ceevee
    Ceevee
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Hi @ag_yaron, thanks for the tips! I use this system (our CRM) every day, so I looked for the Help -> Collect page structure option per your suggestion. However when I click that extension icon in the browser bar, I don't have a Help button - so I clicked on the gearwheel and found a "Get Help" option but that opens a whole new tab for getting started with 1Password, no way to collect page structure. Am I looking in the right place?
    This is what I see when I click the 1Password icon:

And this is what I see when I click the Get Help button (in a new tab)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Ceevee:

Can you confirm that you are right-clicking on the extension? If you do that, you should see this menu:

• Ceevee
    Ceevee
    Community Member

Thanks you, @ag_ana - I had missed that subtlety! Found it now. Will send the file to that support email address

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you Ceevee :)

• jsnoble
    jsnoble
    Community Member

Not sure how helpful it is to just add a +1 to the conversation... but I would like to include my voice for the ability to permanently disable the 1Password mini from showing up on certain sites. For me it also relates to a bunch of internal websites that I visit quite regularly - it's a single website that I auth through on a per site basis (which happens quite a few times a day), and the initial auth page is just a single username field - so there's no need for 1Password to appear there for me... and it gets a bit in the way of the 'submit' button :) It's definitely not a show-stopper for me, but more a workflow interrupter. But glad to hear you guys are working on it!

Also, I can see this conversation started with discussion about 1Password X... and I can't work out exactly what that is? For me, I'm using 1Password 7, and the browser extension in Safari. I've included a screenshot as well. Cheers!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jsnoble:

I would like to include my voice for the ability to permanently disable the 1Password mini from showing up on certain sites.

Thank you for the feedback! I have let our developers know that you would also find this useful :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#832

Also, I can see this conversation started with discussion about 1Password X... and I can't work out exactly what that is?

1Password X is the old name of the 1Password browser extension that you are using, now simply called 1Password in the browser :)

• dsbenson
    dsbenson
    Community Member

I echo the other comments on this thread. I frequently have to login using Okta to internal software development websites at my work, and while I appreciate 1Password working when I ask it to via "cmd-\", the fact that the 1Password UI auto-displays when I'm trying to login to my corporate domains with Okta is annoying. In this situation, 1Password is getting in the way of our corporate SSO login flow; it's not helping.

I don't want to disable 1Password in general: I have no problem with it popping up automatically. I just want to be able to flag a domain (in my case, not just a single website) such that 1Password mini no longer pops up automatically.

• dsbenson
    dsbenson
    Community Member

I echo the other comments on this thread. I frequently have to login using Okta to internal software development websites at my work, and while I appreciate 1Password working when I ask it to via "cmd-\", the fact that the 1Password UI auto-displays when I'm trying to login to my corporate domains with Okta is annoying. In this situation, 1Password is getting in the way of our corporate SSO login flow; it's not helping.

I don't want to disable 1Password in general: I have no problem with it popping up automatically. I just want to be able to flag a domain (in my case, not just a single website) such that 1Password mini no longer pops up automatically.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted @dsbenson, thank you for the feedback! :+1:

• donk3
    donk3
    Community Member

Agree, it's way to aggressive now and I may have to turn off auto-suggest completely since I can't do it for a certain site (or domain).

• Noted your feedback as well @donk3, thank you! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.