Employees sometimes add passwords to their private vault, not company vaults

Options

My goal with my business account is to make sure that I maintain control over my business. Employees are supposed to put all company passwords into the company vault, but sometimes the private vault is selected. Probably they just get in a hurry and it was the last used/default vault, but I need to maintain access to company accounts. Is there a way to prevent them from putting company passwords into a private vault? I'm guessing the answer is no, but... doesn't hurt to ask?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mightynatalie,

It is possible to change the vaults included in All Vaults, as well as the 'Vault for Saving', which may help here. If the Personal vault is not the default, and is more hidden, it might discourage this behavior? This is a per-device setting, so it would need to be done on each device 1Password is installed on. From a technical perspective there isn't currently a way to prevent someone from saving items in their Personal vault, though that may be something we can look into for the future. Do these folks have no items that would be considered unique to them, such as a personalized work email account? If there are still items that they would need to save into their Personal vaults... I'm not sure how we would make the distinction / determination for them as to which vault is appropriate?

I'd be interested to hear if you have further thoughts about how we can help with this situation. Thanks!

Ben

• mightynatalie
    mightynatalie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response Ben! I have never had anyone reply to my questions in a forum before, so I wasn't really expecting a reply. I'll look into the option of setting up the per-device default. I suppose people probably have a few accounts that would be unique to them, such as an email, but the business is an IT support business, and we have tons of accounts that we manage. The techs need to be able to access the accounts, so that whoever is available when a client calls will have access to what they need in order to assist the client.

• I have never had anyone reply to my questions in a forum before, so I wasn't really expecting a reply.

I'm sorry to hear your experience with forums in the past hasn't been so engaging. We try to do better than that here. :) We make every effort to reply to any questions in under 24 hours. :+1:

The techs need to be able to access the accounts, so that whoever is available when a client calls will have access to what they need in order to assist the client.

Gotcha. It would seem that in many environments it would be worse to over-share than to under-share, but that may not be the case for your situation. If so, changing the 'vault for saving' could make sense. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.