Can I still use Safari extension?

Roger_Clark
Roger_Clark
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I run OS/X 10.11.6 and Safari 11.1.2 - my Mac is too old to upgrade. I have been using 1Password for several years - I think I purchased a licence but I have never subscribed. I have always used the 1Password Safari extension but it has recently disappeared. Reading the website it appears that: (1) I need to upgrade to 1Password 7, (2) I will have to take out a subscription and (3) I con't run 1Password 7 with Safari 11.

Is this correct, and are there any alternatives?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @Roger_Clark

I hate to be the bearer of unwelcome news... but I really think it may be time to consider a new Mac. You are correct that to use 1Password with modern versions of Safari you'd need 1Password 7, however your Mac is not capable of running 1Password 7. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. 1Password 6 has been retired and hasn't been updated for over 2 years, and the same is also true of macOS 10.11. We're not financial advisors, and I know these devices are expensive, but if the device is old enough that it will no longer run the latest operating system it may be time to start planning for a newer model.

I realize that probably isn't what you were hoping to hear, but that's the best advise I can give considering the position I sit in. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Roger_Clark
    Roger_Clark
    Community Member

I was afraid of that! It had to happen sometime. Will I also have to subscribe to 1Password or will my existing licence suffice?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Roger_Clark:

1Password Memberships (which are paid with a subscription) are the way forward: they will allow you to always use the latest versions of the 1Password apps on all your devices, so you never run the risk of using out-of-date versions of 1Password.

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member

@Roger_Clark:

A Safari extension would not just magically disappear; something triggered this. It may be something as simple as the extension was unintentionally deactivated. Check Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

1Password extensions can be downloaded from Agilebits here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4#v4070490

Version 4.7.3 of the extension works reliably with El Capitan and Safari 11.1.2. Double click the downloaded 1Password-4.7.3.safariextz file to install it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion to check Safari Preferences @macindigo!

Version 4.7.3 of the extension works reliably with El Capitan and Safari 11.1.2. Double click the downloaded 1Password-4.7.3.safariextz file to install it.

I should also note that we cannot recommend using such an old version of macOS and of Safari at this point. The old extension was great when it came out years ago, but our recommendation is to use the latest version of 1Password for security reasons.

• Roger_Clark
    Roger_Clark
    Community Member

I have no idea what caused the extension to disappear like that. I don't think it's anything I have done. Strangely, the Evernote Webclipper disappeared at the same time. I have downloaded V 4.7.3 and it seems to be working.

I understand the need to keep software up to date but I do most of my computing on iPad or phone these days. They are both up to date. There are a few times when I still need a Mac but it's not easy to justify the price of a new one.

Thank you both for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for your help.

You are welcome @Roger_Clark :+1: If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.