Family and Teams co-existing

Hi - I'm a longtime 1Password user.

• I currently have 1Password 7 on my mac
  • We use a Family account with 7 vaults shared across family members
  • My company recently signed up for a Teams account.
  • My Family account and Teams account have different Master Passwords. (Maybe I screwed up here and should have set the new Teams account to be the same as my Family account.)
  • I actually need to transfer a bunch of logins that I'm currently maintaining in my Family Account (work Vault) into the new Teams account.

Any guidance or best practices from users who use both a Family and a Teams account is most appreciated. I'm going slow because I don't want to screw anything up.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-5 (70700005) 1Passwor
Extension Version: Chrome X Beta - 1.21.3
OS Version: OS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: cloud

Comments

• Hi @mikeobrien

Great to have you on board with 1Password membership. I'd be happy to help you manage having multiple accounts.

My Family account and Teams account have different Master Passwords. (Maybe I screwed up here and should have set the new Teams account to be the same as my Family account.)

This does potentially make things a little easier, but it isn't mandatory that they be the same. As a side note, this is the only instance in which we recommend password reuse. :)

I actually need to transfer a bunch of logins that I'm currently maintaining in my Family Account (work Vault) into the new Teams account.

If you add both accounts to one of the 1Password apps (e.g. 1Password for Mac) you can then move items between vaults, even if those vaults are not within the same account:

Move and copy items

Any guidance or best practices from users who use both a Family and a Teams account is most appreciated. I'm going slow because I don't want to screw anything up.

It may make life easier to make the Master Passwords for both accounts the same. You can learn how to change one of them here:

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/#if-you-have-a-1password-account-and-no-standalone-vaults

Once everything is settled I'd highly recommend printing an Emergency Kit for each account:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Lastly, if you weren't aware, if your company account is in a 1Password Business membership, your 1Password Families membership is included in that subscription. You can learn about how to link the billing of your family membership to the business here:

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

Unfortunately this does not apply to 1Password Teams. If your company is using 1Password Teams it may be worth chatting with them to see if they'd be interested in helping folks stay secure while at home too. :) I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mikeobrien
    mikeobrien
    Community Member

Very helpful - thank you Ben!

• You're most welcome. If you have any further questions along the way we'll be happy to address them. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.