Which way to upgrade to 7?

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

I have 1Password 6 and want to upgrade. There are a number of options and related questions that I have:

1. Which is the best way to upgrade? Standalone, membership? Should I download 7 or start a membership? The different options give too many choices!
  2. I presently sync via Dropbox but all are Mac devices. So I could use either iCloud or a 1P membership instead of Dropbox. I think I would like to discontinue Dropbox. So which alternative is best?
  3. If I use the membership and the vault is apparently stored on your server, is there a copy of the vault on my system too? I am concerned what happens when online access is not available.
  4. I could get a standalone license and upgrade via Dropbox or iCloud for a one-time fee. The membership might be better, but at a yearly cost. What are the advantages of paying the higher yearly cost instead of the one-time fee?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hey @jasimon9

So glad to hear you're considering an upgrade. I'd be happy to help. Standalone is no longer being advertised. Membership is the way forward. :) You can read about the benefits of membership in this guide:

About 1Password membership

Should I download 7 or start a membership? The different options give too many choices!

Order isn't incredibly important here. You can download the 1Password 7 for Mac app and sign up for a membership within the app, or you can sign up for a membership, download the app, and then add said membership to the app. The advantage of the latter strategy is that you'll automatically be prompted to download your Emergency Kit, instead of having to do it separately. Having a paper copy of said kit is a really good idea if you have someplace safe to store it:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I presently sync via Dropbox but all are Mac devices. So I could use either iCloud or a 1P membership instead of Dropbox. I think I would like to discontinue Dropbox. So which alternative is best?

1Password membership would be the de facto path.

If I use the membership and the vault is apparently stored on your server, is there a copy of the vault on my system too? I am concerned what happens when online access is not available.

There is, yes. Each device you sign in on will hold an encrypted copy of your data, just as you're accustom to now. Offline access is a core part of how 1Password operates. When using the apps changes always happen on your device and are then synced.

I could get a standalone license and upgrade via Dropbox or iCloud for a one-time fee. The membership might be better, but at a yearly cost. What are the advantages of paying the higher yearly cost instead of the one-time fee?

This is outlined in the guide I linked above however if you have any specific questions we'd be happy to address them. :) I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

I have finally gotten back to this task. I upgraded, but ran into confusion.

1. I signed up for the membership. When I downloaded and installed 1P 7, it got stuck on "quitting previous versions". It quit 1P 6 just fine, but would not quit 1Password mini, no matter what I tried, including killing all browsers and restarting them. I left this part for later. I did not remember that this result meant that 1Password 7 was not yet installed.
    2. I played with it a bit, and could not see the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar. I went into Chrome extensions, and found that you have to click on the stickpin for it to show up. You might add that to your instructions.
    3. Now I have 1Password 6 still installed, and it still works.
    4. I tried installing 1Password 7 again. This time it was able to make 1P mini quit.
    5. I opened 1Password 7. I was expecting my new master password that I just created to be needed to unlock--however, it still uses the old master password from 1Password 6. This is unexpected.
    6. I am not sure if I should remove the old 1Password.
    7. I checked back again, and now 1Password 6 dock icon has a question mark on it, probably because the installation of 1Password 7 finally completed. In the Application folder, 1Password 6 has been zipped, which explains the question mark.
    8. What is the difference between 1Password Mini and 1Password X? There is not a good explanation of the migration to the new version. However, you don't have to answer this one as I found the answer at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104237/1password-mini-vs-1password-x.
    9. I have a personal vault and a primary vault? What is the purpose of the two?
    10. The sync is still set to be Dropbox. I thought this would change to membership?
    11. I understand there is a local copy of the vault. If I stop using Dropbox to sync, where would this local copy be?

So I am looking for some guidance on how to clean up the mess. In particular the removal of 1P 6--don't want to lose my passwords! And also the conflict between master passwords.

Can you explain?

• Ben
    Options

@jasimon9

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd be happy to help get that cleaned up.

I played with it a bit, and could not see the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar. I went into Chrome extensions, and found that you have to click on the stickpin for it to show up. You might add that to your instructions.

This is a very new function of Chrome that, as far as I know, they have not yet rolled out universally. I believe they're 'testing the waters' here, as it were. That said, it is on our radar.

Now I have 1Password 6 still installed, and it still works.

How'd you manage that? :) In all seriousness: 1Password 7's installer is supposed to zip up 1Password 6. They shouldn't both be on the same system. They'll conflict. Please drag 1Password 6 to the trash.

I opened 1Password 7. I was expecting my new master password that I just created to be needed to unlock--however, it still uses the old master password from 1Password 6. This is unexpected.

If you still have a Primary vault, 1Password unlocks with the password for that vault.

I am not sure if I should remove the old 1Password.

Yes, you should. Thanks for checking.

I checked back again, and now 1Password 6 dock icon has a question mark on it, probably because the installation of 1Password 7 finally completed. In the Application folder, 1Password 6 has been zipped, which explains the question mark.

Correct. You can trash the zip.

I have a personal vault and a primary vault? What is the purpose of the two?

Primary is intended to be deleted by the migration process. If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see your data? If so, please delete the Primary vault:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

If that is not the case, please switch vaults to the Personal vault (in the vault switcher at the upper left corner of 1Password for Mac) then select Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account.

The sync is still set to be Dropbox. I thought this would change to membership?

Dropbox will be uninvolved when the Primary vault is deleted.

I understand there is a local copy of the vault. If I stop using Dropbox to sync, where would this local copy be?

It'll be in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

So I am looking for some guidance on how to clean up the mess. In particular the removal of 1P 6--don't want to lose my passwords! And also the conflict between master passwords.

Once the Primary vault is removed 1Password will unlock using your account password (i.e. the one you use at https://my.1password.com)

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I had been waiting for a response to this question. Usually I get an email notification that there is a response. But since I did not get such an email, I went into this forum page, and sure enough there was about 90 minutes ago. So I am wondering if my upgrade did something to my email address and is preventing getting notices.

2. The mystery of why both 1P 6 and 7 seemed to be active is that the 7 installation did not complete because it was blocked by inability to remove 1P 6 mini. So 6 was still in place, and 7 was only partly installed. Somehow got through that and 6 mini did get uninstalled. Then 7 was able to fully install and 6 got zipped. So no mystery here. The only mysteries are (1) why did 6 mini removal fail; and (2) what freed up the ability to later get it uninstalled?

3. Chrome now has two extension:

Should I delete one of them?

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Where is the password generator? I have looked everywhere 3 times, cannot find it!

Also, how do I get back to my postings in this forum?

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

1Password X and 1Password extension (desktop app required) are two different extensions that serve two purposes.

1Password X is designed to be a completely standalone password manager (so it can function on platforms where you can't install the desktop app due to platform unavailability or other restrictions), but that means it does not communicate with the desktop app at all (barring the beta version on macOS). This means it only supports 1Password.com vaults, no local or vaults synced via other sync services, as well as not sharing a lock state with the desktop app (unless using the beta version of both 1PWX and 1Password for Mac).

1Password extension (desktop app required) stores no data in it and acts as a funnel basically for 1Password mini to input data into your browser. This means that when you trigger 1Password extension, it pops up 1Password mini and you unlock 1Password mini if necessary. However, there's some things that the desktop extension doesn't do. X provides a 1Password icon in login fields to quickly bring up 1Password X and unlock it, whereas desktop extension requires triggering 1Password mini or clicking the extension icon in the top right of Chrome.

As far as which one to use, it's basically up to you (assuming you are using only 1Password.com vaults). I personally prefer 1Password X on my Windows devices over the desktop extension (even though it doesn't have Desktop App Integration yet like my old work Macbook did, nudge nudge Ben 😉), because most of my password use these days is in browser, so there's less of a need to unlock the desktop app for me.

as for generating a password in 1Password X, click this plus sign and then the password generator should be right there

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

Also, how do I get back to my postings in this forum?

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean how to see all your previous messages?

And thank you plttn for the assist on the password generator :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Seems there will be a lot to get used to as the usage/workflow is completely new. Still not sure about which to use regarding extension (mini) and X. And in your good explanation, I now see four "entities" that one has to think about: (1) desktop; (2) X; (3) extension; and (4) mini. Is there an article going over the variations?

Thank pittn for the pointer to the + in X for password generator. How about where to find it in the desktop version? What I have found so far is that if you can get to it with a number of steps: (1) create new login; (2) hit gear in "password" field. Is there a more straightforward way without creating a "dummy" new login?

@ag_ana: a way to see my postings would be nice. Right now I have been looking at all forum postings, and visually scanning for my recent posting. This has only worked because they are fairly recent and not much visual scanning needed. What I used to do was to get an email from your system saying there is a new response, and clicking on the link in the email. But I no longer get those emails. So I have to randomly visit the forum, and manually search. What am I missing?

• Ben
    Options

@jasimon9

You can see the comments you've posted in your profile: https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/comments/jasimon9

As for 1Password X vs 1Password for Mac (as those are essentially the two choices). I would recommend picking one or the other and uninstalling the one not chosen:

1. 1Password X lives and works exclusively inside your web browser, whereas 1Password for Mac is a desktop application that has functions outside of web forms. 1Password X is an all-in-one sort of solution: all you have to install or interact with is 1Password X itself.
    2. 1Password for Mac works best with the companion extension, which with the exception of Safari, must be installed in your browser separately. The extension gives your web browser a way to interact with 1Password for Mac (specifically, the 1Password mini component). 1Password mini is the interface you see when opening 1Password for Mac either from your Mac's menu bar at the top of the screen (next to the clock), or by clicking on the extension's icon in your web browser.

You can find the password generator in mini here:

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

When I used 1P version 4 the backups were located ~/Library/Application Support/1 Password 4/Backups. When I upgraded to version 5, and then version 6, the backups stayed in the same location.

Does 1P still keep periodic backups? Where are they kept?

• Ben
    Options

@jasimon9

Periodic backups are no longer kept locally (just the cache of the current version), however full item history is stored on 1Password.com:

View and restore previous versions of items

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

When looking for the local cache that you gave the path for above, I noticed the following path: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups. The contents of this directory appear to be the same as what is still in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups. I would guess that the backups have been preserved, but nothing new will be added. And just to the conclusion that the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ directory can be eventually blown away.

The task I am trying to accomplish is to update workflows that had automatic copying archival/backup versions of the vault to secure locations. The old backups were put into a single, encrypted package file, which copy be easily copied with a shell command.

I want to do a major pruning of obsolete items, but before doing that I want to have a "backup" of some kind.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Also, what is in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/AccountExports/

Are those just previous times I have exported? And therefore since I was just testing I can remove them using Finder? Or is there a place in the 1P interface where they can be managed (ie, deleted)?

• Ben
    Options

I would guess that the backups have been preserved, but nothing new will be added. And just to the conclusion that the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ directory can be eventually blown away.

Correct.

The task I am trying to accomplish is to update workflows that had automatic copying archival/backup versions of the vault to secure locations. The old backups were put into a single, encrypted package file, which copy be easily copied with a shell command.

There isn't exactly a 1:1 analog with the way things work now, but if you wanted to periodically backup the offline cache that would be the closest equivalent. Those are the files in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

If you reference ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/Data/* from the command line or a script that should grab all of them.

I want to do a major pruning of obsolete items, but before doing that I want to have a "backup" of some kind.

Deleted items can be recovered through the 1Password.com web app:

https://support.1password.com/item-history-teams/#restore-a-deleted-item

Also, what is in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/AccountExports/

This is a feature that we've started to build out but haven't finished yet. I hesitate to call them "backups" at this point as there is no way to restore them... and what good is a backup that you can't restore? But the goal is to eventually have these serve the same purpose as an encrypted local periodic backup, much like existed with standalone vaults.

Are those just previous times I have exported? And therefore since I was just testing I can remove them using Finder? Or is there a place in the 1P interface where they can be managed (ie, deleted)?

You can safely delete them from Finder, though 1Password will recreate them automatically. There is no UI for them at this point as the feature has not been completed.

:)

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation on AccountExports.

I have consistently been having trouble with the instructions. For example: restoring a deleted item. It says select the vault, open trash, click View Archived Items. When I do this, I do see a lot of items in the Trash, but whenever I click on View Archived Items, it always says "no archived items".

How does something get into the archive?

• Ben
    Options

@jasimon9

Thanks for the explanation on AccountExports.

You're very welcome. :)

How does something get into the archive?

It wouldn't be 'archived' until it is deleted from the trash. If the item is still in the trash you can restore it by clicking on the 'restore' button in the bottom right.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@sylath

How recently was this? And where do you have the 1Password 6 app saved? v7 should indeed be zipping v6.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the detailed report, @sylath. Interesting that v6 was not zipped in this case. We'll have to do some further investigation on that. It sounds like you did the right thing though, in that only one version of 1Password 7 is currently installed.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Interesting about what the archive is. One way of looking at it is that it is a second level Trash. Sort of. will experiment.

• Ben
    Options

Indeed; that is essentially what it is. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.