Not getting same experience among all devices

Hi,
Usually, users expect the same experience in all their devices when they are using a specific platform. But that is not happening when I am using 1Password.
In Mac, there was an integration between the desktop app and the 1Password X web extension. (unfortunately, this feature was removed in the latest update)
It was good for several reasons:
1- We could easily unlock 1Password X with TouchID which was a killer feature. It made my life much easier. Why don't we have the same feature for windows machines (at least for those with supporting hardware)? We can unlock 1Password on Mac, iPhone, and Android using fingerprint and FaceID, why not windows? Windows still have most users in personal computers, and it is important to consider these users when developing new features.
2- With the integration. when we wanted to edit an entry, it would open it in the desktop app instead of the 1Password website which was more convenient. Especially since I am using dark theme on my computer, switching to a white website is not very pleasant.

I have Mac, iPhone, Android, and windows, and I have the impression that Mac and iPhone users get more features. For example, the Windows desktop app's interface is very outdated and doesn't even support the dark theme.

I would be happy to hear your point of view.
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Baabaak,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback! Your point of view is really appreciated. :+1:

Indeed, the desktop app integration between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac was removed in the latest update. It was done temporarily for the reasons that Dave, our founder, explains here:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Please check this discussion and let me know if you have any further questions. Feel free to raise them in that discussion as well. For the time being, if you want 1Password extension in the browser to unlock when you unlock 1Password app, you can give 1Password companion extension a try:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

As for the overall 1Password for Windows experience, we are working really hard to make it better and more consistent with other platforms, but it takes time. If you have any specific feedback about it, please tell me. Moreover, as Dave says at the end of his post, desktop app integration is coming to other platfroms as well. We also have other plans that will improve the look and feel of 1Password for Windows, but I do not have anything specific to share at this point.

I hope it helps. Again, we are always ready to help and answer your questions, if you have them. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Baabaak
    Baabaak
    Community Member

Thanks, @Greg for your reply.
    My concern is mostly having the same experience among all devices. Right now, Mac users have all the best and latest features and Windows users are behind.
    As a user who works with multiple platforms like Mac and Windows, it is not convenient to have different experiences while using the same software.
    Even I think if there is a new feature, it should roll out first for platforms with most users.

• When a new feature gets a stable release, we do make our best effort to roll it out evenly, @Baabaak. The introduction of Watchtower Notifications is a good example of a recent feature that landed across all devices at just about the same time:

https://blog.1password.com/announcing-watchtower-notifications/

That said, if something is in beta (like desktop app integration), we will often try that out on the platform with the lowest barrier to entry to see how it works. After all, we want to ensure the feature is viable at all before investing resources that could be put towards other fixes or improvements. Choosing the platform where implementation is easiest allows us to experiment with the least possible impact on the overall roadmap. And, of course, the end goal is always to have it working everywhere whenever possible. In fact, as Dave mentioned in his post, this was one motivator for changing course on that feature. It definitely took longer than we'd like, but the lessons learned by testing things on macOS were important stepping stones towards finding the right way to bring this feature to other platforms.

As for biometric unlocking in general, this has been supported on Windows since 1Password 7's release. You can learn about unlocking with Windows Hello here:

https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/

It's also worth keeping in mind that different platforms do come with different challenges. This sometimes means we can't roll out features at exactly the same time. 1Password for Android, for example, got dark theme before iOS did. Windows remains the only app with the option to unlock on an isolated desktop. Android got improved filling via the Autofill framework well before Password AutoFill was available on iOS. While perhaps of more interest to developers than most of our customers, the guts of the 1Password for Linux developer preview actually came from 1Password for Windows which lead the way in moving to a back end written in Rust. Parity and consistency is important, but we don't want to skip out on a feature simply because it's hard (or even impossible) to implement another platform. The work done on one platform nearly always has benefits that resonate to others. Maybe not always a quickly as you or I would like, but each helps us to continue innovating and ultimately bring things like desktop app integration to Windows and beyond.

• Baabaak
    Baabaak
    Community Member

Thank you @bundtkate for your reply.
    Fair enough.

• It's no trouble at all, @Baabaak. I do think I end up a bit less fussed about anything specific overall since I near exclusively use Windows myself, but I definitely share the feelings on things like dark mode. Even looking at white backgrounds in my web browser makes me a grump these days. We did get a bit of a later start on Windows, but we've come a long way and we're moving forward a bit more every day. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.