...Questions re De-cluttering 1PW

Options

Hi

First I want to thank you guys for being so helpful.
I am so happy that I decided to purchase 1PW.

Here's my question.
I'm still very new at using 1PW.
I looked at my PWs in the Windows desktop app.
Many of my accounts have multiple pws (see attached).

Should I get rid of the extras?
Which one should I keep?
Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I think starting with determining why it happened in the first place would be best, @ethan417. If these are real duplicates, then deleting the extras is great, but if – just for example – you ended up with these duplicates as the result of importing multiple times, the simpler path may be to clear everything out and just do one single import for a nice clean database. So, how did you pull of your data in? Did you import from a browser or another password manager? Did you maybe do this more than once on multiple devices? Let me know and we'll see if we can't devise a good cleanup strategy from there. :+1:

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member
    Options

I pulled them from Chrome.
    I'm pretty sure I did it only once.
    There are over 400 items.

I have another question.
    I updated my PayPal PW using the browser extension in Brave.
    When I looked at the window app - there are 3 PP log-ins - all have the same "old" PW.
    None have the new PW.
    But when I went to PP via the Brave browser, I was able to get into my PP account.
    The Brave browser has the new PW.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ethan417,

Do you use 1Password on any other devices? Do you remember migrating your data on other device as well?

As for your new question:

I updated my PayPal PW using the browser extension in Brave.
    When I looked at the window app - there are 3 PP log-ins - all have the same "old" PW.
    None have the new PW.
    But when I went to PP via the Brave browser, I was able to get into my PP account.
    The Brave browser has the new PW.

First of all, could you please specify the version of 1Password extension that you installed in Brave? Also, please make sure that you used 1Password extension to save your updated password for PayPal, not a built-in password manager in your browser? Here is how you can turn it off:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Let me know what you find. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member
    Options

1Password X v. 1.20.0
    Browser PW manager is now turned off.

I know I must be doing something wrong.
    I can't sign into the Washington Post.
    Here's a screen shot of what sign-in looks like with 1PW X

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ethan417:

If you use 1Password X, please check the following article on how you can use it in your browser (the video there is also helpful):

Get to know 1Password X

As for your data in 1Password right now: is it possible that you had all those duplicates saved in Chrome before you exported it? Please let me know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member
    Options

I just checked Chrome - No, I did not have all those PWs in Chrome.
    After creating my 1PW account, I began to selectively change PWs.
    The WP was one of the accounts I elected to change.

Please note that I am learning to enhance my browsing with greater attention to security.
    Thus 1PW.
    I am also using 3 browsers - Firefox (out of the box), Brave (out of the box), Chrome (out of the box).

I forget which browser I used to change the WP password.
    The process with quirky.
    I completed the change screen data using the 1PW generator.
    1PW populated the PW fields but the save process was quirky.
    When I selected save, Windows messaged me that the PW had been updated, yet the PW fields were blank and the WP update button didn't seem to work.

I have had similar problems with Bank of America, Costo, and PayPal

• If you've already changed some passwords, @ethan417, then the best choice is probably going to be manual cleanup. I'd focus on the "date modified" for each collections of duplicates and keep the one modified most recently. As for changing passwords, it would be important to know what app you used to change those passwords so I can get you in front of the right folks to help. Do you have 1Password X in all of the browsers you're using?

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member
    Options

Manual cleanup - I was thinking the same thing.
    Is there a way to delete multiple PWs at once?

The one big problem I have is 1PW's interaction with certain login screens - Washington Post, Costco.com are 2 examples.
    Is my experience unique?
    If not, what the best way to work around it.

• You can select multiple items at once by holding Ctrl as you select them. Pressing Ctrl + Del with multiple items selected will send them all to the trash. :+1:

As for filling, I'm going to summon @kaitlyn or someone from her team to help out there. They are more familiar with 1Password X and what could potentially be giving you trouble.

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

I look forward to connecting with Kaitlyn.

I guess I didn't realize that I can use the Windows app.
    Is there a video/instructions that you can point me to?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

👋 Happy to help with the filling issue!

@ethan417 – I tried both saving and filling in the sign in forms on costco.com and washingtonpost.com, and 1Password X seemed to behave the way I'd expect.

I took a screen recording of me saving and filling on Costco's website; would you mind following the same steps to save a new item and let me know if it behaves any differently?

Here's that screen recording.

I'll mention that saving an item on Washington Post's site was a little funky due to the username and password field being on different pages. If you click the Save in 1Password button below both the username and the password field, and update the item the second time around, you should get an item that fills properly. Let me know if that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.