I am thinking of purchasing a new Macbook Pro. How do I transfer my 1 Password information to it?

mara
mara
Community Member

I am thinking of purchasing a new Macbook Pro. How do I transfer my 1 Password information to it? Do i need to purchase a new license?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.4
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Your licence will cover all your Macs, including the new one.

Mind you, 1PW 7 has been out for a long time now, and I would really recommend an upgrade. You can either pay for a new licence, or move to the subscription/membership approach, which is recommended. Because AgileBits prefer (for technical, not just financial, reasons) prefer people to take out subscriptions, the licence option is rather hidden, but it is there.

• Hi all,

It appears the OP is using 1Password 6 and macOS 10.11, and may not be syncing their data. With 1Password 7 and macOS 10.15 being the current versions, a heck of a lot has changed. I personally would not recommend using Migration Assistant in such a case.

As danco alluded, as far as 1Password is concerened, membership is the path forward. Membership gives you access to the latest versions of the 1Password apps for any of your compatible devices. This would mean you'd be able to use v7 now, and also any newer versions that are released in the future (assuming your devices can run them). Membership would also include automatic offsite encrypted backups and sync between your devices. There are a host of other benefits as well, which you can read about here:

About 1Password membership

To move forward I'd recommend signing up for a membership, and adding that account to 1Password 6 on your older Mac. In the process, move your data into the account. Then, when you get a new Mac, all you'd have to do is install 1Password 7 and sign in. You can sign up for a membership, including a free trial, here:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

I hope that helps!

Ben

• @sylath

I appreciate your concerns here. Thanks for chiming in.

@mara cannot upgrade to 1Password 7 on their old Mac since v7 requires MacOS 10.13 or better.

Correct. I didn't suggest that they should. :) This is what I suggested doing on the old Mac:

"To move forward I'd recommend signing up for a membership, and adding that account to 1Password 6 on your older Mac. In the process, move your data into the account."

Therefore I think @mara's best path is to use Migration Assistant to migrate the 1Password 6.8.9 installation to the new MacBook Pro first. Especially if @mara isn't syncing.

I respectfully disagree. Unfortunately we've seen a number of issues with 1Password installations caused by using Migration Assistant. It isn't a solution that we recommend.

Once 1Password 6.8.9 is working properly on the new MacBook Pro (with presumably MacOs 10.15.6), @mara can upgrade to v7 if @mara so chooses.

I would not install 1Password 6 on the new MacBook. That seems to only complicate the situation further, and will leave legacy files on the new Mac.

MacOs 10.11.6 is quite old. Therefore @mara should be aware that older apps may not work on MacOs 10.15.6. Notably 10.15.6 does not support 32 bit apps.

Good point, however 1Password has been a 64-bit app since... v2? v3? Many years. :)

But in my experience 1Password 6.8.9 works fine on MacOs 10.15.6.

The app itself will run, but the Safari extension for 1Password 6 is not compatible with macOS 10.15. My position here is that it would be best to leave the past in the past and start with a clean v7 install on the new computer, which the instructions I posted above will allow for.

Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sylath:

Thank you for your feedback on this! As Ben said, we saw some issues with Migration Assistant in the past when it comes to 1Password, so we cannot recommend this method for 1Password migrations. That's our own experience, so I think it's the right think to mention it to avoid this happening to other users if possible.

But at the end of the day, choosing the specific migration process is certainly your prerogative: we can only give suggestions and recommendations based on our 1Password experience, but we cannot force you :)

This discussion has been closed.