I cannot believe that I have to sign in with my very secure master password, rather than a password.

Options
bbl
bbl
Community Member

I cannot believe that I have to sign in with my very secure master password, rather than just a password!!!
That is none of your business, is it? I am already paranoid enough and now, instead of a password to get into my account, you make me type in my very secure and personal master password? This makes me wonder.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I cannot believe that I have to sign in with my very secure master password, rather than a password.

Comments

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. I am talking about my not wanting to type in with my very secure master password when I just sign into my account, where I first signed up, with my information, credit card, address, etc.
    Of course to get into the 1password program the master password is the perfect way to get it.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bbl

I'm sorry for any confusion. Because the my.1password.com web app is one of the 1Password programs, the same level of encryption is applied to your data when using it, and as such you need your Master Password in order to decrypt that data.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I believe that the crucial point is that it is a web app. It runs locally within the browser and, if I am correct, never submits the password itself over the internet. That seems to be what the original poster is worried about.

• Ben
    Options

I see; yes, that's exactly correct @danco. The Master Password isn't transmitted over the network. The web app is downloaded into your browser and then all the encryption/decription happens locally on your device. It may look a lot like a traditional web page, but what is happening under the hood is much different than any other web page most folks would be familiar with.

Ben

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

You or someone said this: "The Security Key is your best protection against someone who doesn't have access to one of your devices, and your Master Password is your best protection against someone who does."
    Do you mean the SECRET KEY instead of the security key? If not, where is the security key?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbl:

You or someone said this: "The Security Key is your best protection against someone who doesn't have access to one of your devices, and your Master Password is your best protection against someone who does."

I do not see this quote in this forum dicussion. Can you share with us the link to where you read this?

But from what you wrote, without context, it sounds like the person who wrote that meant the Secret Key, yes :+1:

This discussion has been closed.