Upon opening vault, 1Password freezes and uses ~30% of CPU

Pretty much what the title says.
When I enter my master password and my vault is opened, the program freezes after a few seconds and it's CPU usage skyrockets to aprox. 30%.
I am worried that maybe it is infected. This has only happened for the past few days. During that time (or maybe before) I downloaded a PDF with an invalid signature.
I have already performed a basic installation and re-installation.
Thank you for the help!

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Avmar,

Thank you for reporting this! Let's investigate what is happening.

First of all, could you please tell us what steps do you take before 1Password freezes? Do you select any items or scroll the item list or is it just freezes right after launch? Does it happen all the time?

Also, do you remember saving any items using 1Password extension recently? Please let me know.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Avmar
    Avmar
    Community Member

Sure thing!
    It seems like the freeze starts to happen when I scroll to the bottom of the list. This seems to happen consistently every time.
    Yes, I have saved items through both the desktop application and through the 1Password Chrome extension recently.
    Please let me know what other information I could provide you with that may be useful!

• Do you use any sort of anti-virus on this PC, @Avmar? I've not heard of this issue cropping up in some time, but this was a problem we'd run into with BitDefender in the past. We've also seen a few new cases of freezes we're still investigating, but those have thus far not included a CPU spike so I'm inclined to believe you're seeing something different.

• Avmar
    Avmar
    Community Member

Yes, I use AVG and MalwareBytes, both of which are the free versions.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Avmar,

Thank you for getting back to me! I am glad to hear that you were able to install 1Password properly.

Could you please try to whitelist 1Password and its app directory %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ in Malwarebytes and AVG on your PC and check if it improves the situation? Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Avmar
    Avmar
    Community Member

I was able to add the folder to both programs' WhiteLists, but the freezing still occurs.

Thanks for your continued help Greg and bundtkate!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Avmar:

I was able to add the folder to both programs' WhiteLists, but the freezing still occurs.

For confirmation, just to make sure we are not missing anything, have you only added the folder to the whitelist? Have you also added the 1Password application to the whitelist?

• Avmar
    Avmar
    Community Member

The application was already added to AVG's whitelist.
    For MalwayreBytes, since I use the free version, I am only able to add folders to the whitelist.

On another note, when I logged on this morning, I could not replicate the problem. If the issue is solved, I assume it might be because I did not restart my system after adding 1Password's folder to the whitelist. However, I will continue to try and replicate the problem and update here if I am able to do so.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Avmar:

Thank you for the update!

If the issue is solved, I assume it might be because I did not restart my system after adding 1Password's folder to the whitelist.

A reboot is often necessary, so it's possible that this had something to do with what you were seeing.

However, I will continue to try and replicate the problem and update here if I am able to do so.

Sounds good, thanks! :+1:

• Avmar
    Avmar
    Community Member

Thank you all so much for your extremely prompt help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate and Greg, you are welcome @Avmar! Have a wonderful day :)

• Johnz
    Johnz
    Community Member

Hallo everyone,

I'm experiencing a similar problem: almost every time I open the 1p app and scroll through Secure Notes, the UI freezes and the app shows a high CPU usage. I'm running it on a Windows 10 2004.

I have ESET as AV, and have already excluded the env folder mentioned on a previous post.

How can I troubleshoot this problem further?

Regards

• Did you reboot since adding that folder to the whitelist, @Johnz? The reboot is genuinely important – if your AV has already quarantined or otherwise modified the behavior of an application, that will persist until you reboot regardless of whether you've added the application to the whitelist.

• donnachac
    donnachac
    Community Member

Exact same problem today for me on a clean install on windows 10 . Freezes on scroll of passwords. after opening app I only have about 20 in the list. Very disappointing as I had heard good things about 1password. Repeatable behaviour after multiple app restarts and pc restarts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@donnachac:

Which antivirus are you using on this Windows PC? Have you already made sure that 1Password is whitelisted by it?

• donnachac
    donnachac
    Community Member

I followed instructions sent on by @greg and updated to the beta channel and I'm not seeing this issue any more happily. Thanks for your assistance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @donnachac, I am glad to hear this :)

• cmmm
    cmmm
    Community Member

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem. Whenever I scroll to the bottom of the list of saved items, the app freezes and uses ~30% CPU, so I have to resort to ending the task via TM.

I am using Windows 10 and the latest version of 1Password. The only antivirus I have is Windows Defender. I have tried reinstalling, and whitelisting the 1Password app and %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ folder to no avail.

• kronograf
    kronograf
    Community Member

Hi, I'm also having this problem. The app freezes when scrolling all the way to the end. I'm using Windows 10, the latest version of the app, and I've already whitelisted it in MalwareBytes and restarted.

• Hey there @cmmm and @kronograf -- This sounds like something we've recently rolled out a fix for in the latest 1Password for Windows Beta.

Use 1Password beta releases

Can you try installing the latest beta using the instructions linked above, and then let me know if that fixes things up for you?

• benwalsh
    benwalsh
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

The beta fixes the problem, but why isn't this an urgent patch to a major bug? It makes 1Password completely unusable

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I also think that the recent beta should be released as a stable version to prevent customers from having this scroll-bug.
    But maybe there is something special in the recent beta that the developers still want to collect feedback about before pushing the new version to all clients. ;)

• Blake
    edited January 2021

@benwalsh

This bug had started to be reported by other customers later in 2020. Based on the window size of the 1Password for Windows application, in some categories, having a final item in a list that is partially obscured, can cause the behavior you saw -- but even then, this bug only appeared in some very rare cases. It did not affect all customers and we would have no way to know who was affected unless it was reported to us.

We're well on our way to getting this out of Beta and into Stable, but there's still a tad more testing for us to do before we make that jump.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks for explanation @Blake . 👍

• We're always happy to be totally transparent surrounding issues like this. I'm glad I could help explain! 😊

• pcfishhk
    pcfishhk
    Community Member

@Blake - I think I am experiencing this same issue and the Desktop app is pretty much unusable now. Is there any way I can help report this?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@pcfishhk
    Did you try to use the latest beta build 7.6.787? It should the issue for you.
    https://support.1password.com/betas/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pcfishhk:

What is the exact version of the 1Password for Windows app that you are currently using?

• pcfishhk
    pcfishhk
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

@DenalB So far so good. I have not seen the problem after switching from release 7.6.785 to beta 7.6.787

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Sounds good @pcfishhk. Hope it's the solution for you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.