Cleaning up 1Password Vaults

Options
laugher
laugher
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi. I'm doing some spring cleaning and noticed that I am keeping multiple 1Password directories. I am running 1Password for Windows v7.6.780. I also run an equivalent latest version on Mac OS (can't access that right now) and access the same directories using iPad, iPhone, Android versions of 1Password. Of course, I also have the Firefox, Chrome and Edge Chromium versions of the extensions running - all v4.7.5.90.

My fear is that the other directories are used by older versions of 1Password and the master key is using a weaker encryption and therefore, someone who gains access might be able to retrieve older 1Password records.

Can I safely delete everything except 1Password.opvault?

With thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X Catalina 10.15.x
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @laugher,

If you use the same vault (synced via Dropbox) in all 1Password apps on your devices, you can find that vault in Dropbox via 1Password 7 for Windows and delete your old vault folders.

To find your current vault in 1Password 7 for Windows, right-click your vault in the sidebar and click "Reveal in Explorer". You can also check the full path to that vault if you just hover the mouse cursor over that button:

However, please note that your old local vaults are also encrypted with the Master Password of your own choosing and that Master Password is known only to you.

Let me know if you have other questions. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I’ll have a play around with it later but am pretty sure the opvault is the current repository. Thanks for showing me a way to validate.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @laugher,

You are very welcome! :+1:

If you bump into any other difficulties, we are always ready to help.

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.