Suggestion: When saving a login URL strip URL to base domain

Options

Hello,

I wanted to suggest an option in 1Password when saving or creating a new login to possibly strip the URL to just the domain.

For example, let's say I am creating a login for the 1Password forum. When I go to register for an account and I get prompted to save my credentials, the URL that is captured is the page that was used to create the password (i.e https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/register?Target=). As an option, I think it would be nice to have 1Password strip the URL and possibly subdomain and save the URL for the login as discussions.agilebits.com or even just agilebits.com?

I believe this would eliminate some frustration as for instance I believe 1Password looks strictly for the URL to present passwords when right-clicking and selecting 1Password in chrome for instance.

Thank you and I look forward to your response!

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: 1Password Membership

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hey @AdamMiros ,

Thank you for taking the time to write this suggestion! We really appreciate it.
    What you're describing has some advantages, but it also has some (major) disadvantages. A lot of websites have login pages that are on a specific subdomain or a specific path in the URL, so stripping down the URL to just the base domain will cause the Open & Fill (or GO button) feature to not work as it should.

For example, I have 5 different logins for Apple's different websites:

• apple.com
    • appleid.apple.com
    • developer.apple.com
    • store.apple.com
    • iforgot.apple.com

Implementing such a feature will render 4 out of these 5 logins useless and I won't be able to use Open & Fill in my 1Password app. That's a simplified example, but in reality things might be even more complex, as we often encounter URLs with weird structures, such as:

• login.website.com
    • website.com/login
    • admin.website.com/login
    • website.com/authentication/admin/login
    • etc....

So while in theory your feature suggestion might benefit some users, it will definitely hurt others who enjoy Open & Fill, where 1Password opens the browser for them and takes them directly to the full URL of the login page. It might work by adding a button that says "Strip URL" or something like that, but we're fairly against adding more buttons and unclear functions in the apps, since often users click them and don't fully understand what they do, causing lots of issues along the way and hurting their experience :)

If you have an idea on how can such a feature work without hurting the Open & Fill feature, and without adding custom settings/buttons to the apps, I'll be happy to hear it and pass it a long to the team! :+1:

• AdamMiros
    AdamMiros
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron ,

Thank you for your reply. After posting I did have a similar mindset, when it comes to the subdomain so I agree, that may not be the most ideal situation, especially with the example you provided.

I was going to possibly suggest going the other route and possibly "stripping" what comes after the domain i.e after the first "/". Just for a cleaner look. However, I understand the team's concern for not wanting to implement a "button" per se. My initial thought was just to add a flip of a switch in the settings so when a URL is saved, it just happens to all the URL's in addition to new URLs.

However, this would most likely just be cosmetic as it would not have such a difference in the login. Furthermore, as you mentioned this would eliminate the "Open & Fill" feature.

Nonetheless, thank you for your reply and care for 1Password! I appreciate your reply and insight!

Best Regards,

Adam

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Adam,
    Thanks for the additional info and feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Indeed, eliminating whatever comes after the last "/" in the domain will also impact a lot of websites where the login page is a path after the domain. For example, American Airlines' login page is at https://www.aa.com/loyalty/login , so removing whatever is after the domain will result in 1Password bringing up the homepage and not autofilling anything (because there's nothing to autofill there).

We'll try to keep track on your suggestions though and see if any other users request this feature. If it has demand, we will certainly consider adding such an option, even if we don't like it :chuffed:

Thanks again for taking the time to bring this up! And for the kind words. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.