Sync Suggestion Query

romad
romad
Community Member
edited August 2020 in iOS

Currently in order to see when the last sync between 1PwdiOS and 1PwdMac happened, I have to launch 1PwdiOS then go to Settings>Sync>WLAN to see the "Last Sync" entry.

Is it possible for you to move the "Last Sync" field from the "WLAN" page to the "Sync" page?

1Password Version: MacOS: 7.6; iOS: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Brave 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6; iOS 13.6.1
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Hi @romad

I can suggest it. :) I don't believe we're currently planning improvements for the WLAN server. Our efforts are focused on 1Password.com, where we can benefit the greatest number of customers, and it seems that will likely remain the case for the foreseeable future. We no longer recommend the WLAN server as a sync solution, and haven't advertised it or standalone vaults in general in over 2 years. I'll be happy to put in the request, though. :+1:

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. FYI: if Agilebits eliminates WiFi sync, it will lose me as a customer after at least 12 years. I'm very sorry to see Agile becoming more "make a buck, make a buck" putting profits ahead of customers. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to allow ANY of my sensitive data be stored in someone else's proprietary systems, whether it is iClod, Dropbox, personal finance applications, etc.

• @romad

I don't think it is any secret that membership is the way forward (I've said as much a number of times on this forum). I understand how that may be throwing up red flags for you, particularly having stuck with the WLAN Server for so long. I'd be happy to discuss whatever concerns you have with that, but if that is a non-starter then unfortunately I think we're eventually going to reach an impasse.

At the end of the day, the security of your 1Password data has never relied on the sync service you choose to use. Even, if for example, you had chosen to sync with Dropbox, and Dropbox suffered a breach, 1Password only stores encrypted data in Dropbox. An attacker would still need your Master Password in order to decrypt that data.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Ben, I consider all "cloud" systems whether iClod, Dropbox, or Agile as dangerous. But it seems to me that Agile is making greed its primary determinant by planning to require 1Password users to subscribe to its sync process. I believe I posted this before but I crunched the numbers and determined that between buying iPassword standalone vs subscribing, after about 18 months the customer starts losing more and more money while Agile starts making more and higher profits. Then there is the fact that if the "customers" decide to stop paying, they lose all their passwords and other data in Agile's proprietary cloud since they lose online access and can not sync between their desktop computer and their mobile devices. Agile makes sufficient profit off my purchase of the standalone product roughly every 2 - 2.5 years.

However, I do grant that for those who DON'T have desktop computers but only tablets and phones, Agile's cloud syncing does make sense.

• Then there is the fact that if the "customers" decide to stop paying, they lose all their passwords and other data in Agile's proprietary cloud since they lose online access

This is simply not true. If your subscription lapses you do not lose access to your data.

But it seems to me that Agile is making greed its primary determinant by planning to require 1Password users to subscribe to its sync process. I believe I posted this before but I crunched the numbers and determined that between buying iPassword standalone vs subscribing, after about 18 months the customer starts losing more and more money while Agile starts making more and higher profits.

I wouldn't describe that as greed. I would describe that as trying to move to a more sustainable business model. 1Password operates in an ever changing environment — new versions of web browsers and operating systems being an example of that. Keeping up requires ongoing work, and so an ongoing subscription to support that work is what is needed in order to maintain a sustainable business model.

The days of buying a piece of software on a CD and then being able to use what came on the CD as-is indefinitely are long gone. The way software works has evolved significantly since then, such that for an offering like 1Password constant development attention is required. Accepting a one-time payment for constant work isn't viable practice in any industry I can think of. This problem has only become worse as time goes on (Moore's Law). Things are moving faster every year, requiring more time and attention than ever.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.